Main Hybrid Battery Died! Toyota HiHy '06

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:13 PM
04 prius 350,000km
Default Re: Main Hybrid Battery Died! Toyota HiHy '06

does the 2008 hihy uses the same 288 volt battery as the 06-07 model?

Old 08-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Enthusiast

I have a nearly new 08 hybrid highlander.
Last night I got home, it sat for an hour.
I went out to go to the store. The lights and error
messages were flashing and shining intermittently.
This morning the battery was double ddd dead.
I jumped it (the tow guy did) interesting experience as you turn it on and wait for it to decide to start the engine. Then as the guy drove off it decided it didn't need the engine (as I was not going anywhere as jet) and off went the engine. Luckily there was enough charge to restart it. Two questions can a person access the hybrid battery for jumping purposes and can you turn off the hybrid system for a period for situations like this. Not so important now but later as these get older it will be important

Old 08-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast

I'm assuming we left a light on, but we had to get our HiHy jumped too. However, we disconnected the jump cables even before the engine started, but it worked fine. Looks like you have to have the 12v to get started, but once started, the 12v could be dead and you still wouldn't have problem. On the other hand, maybe that 2 minutes of time put enough charge to hold the car until the engine did start a few minutes later. For comfort, I put the car in "B" to keep the engine going until I felt the battery should be sufficiently charged. Its been a few months and no more issue. However I do keep one of those "self jump" battery things in the car in case it happens again.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eugene7
... Two questions can a person access the hybrid battery for jumping purposes and can you turn off the hybrid system for a period for situations like this...
The traction battery is under the second row seat. Considering that the battery pack voltage is 288V, what device would you use to charge or jump that battery?

If the battery fails, the vehicle can probably be driven to the dealer, but I wouldn't recommend traveling a long distance in that condition.

Responding to the OP, my traction battery died in July 2007 (two years after in-service date of June 2005) at 26,780 miles. The master warning, check engine, brake, and traction lights came on.

DTC included P0A80 and C1259. The part number of the replacement battery is G9510-48010.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eugene7
I have a nearly new 08 hybrid highlander.
Last night I got home, it sat for an hour.
I went out to go to the store. The lights and error
messages were flashing and shining intermittently.
This morning the battery was double ddd dead.
I jumped it (the tow guy did) interesting experience as you turn it on and wait for it to decide to start the engine. Then as the guy drove off it decided it didn't need the engine (as I was not going anywhere as jet) and off went the engine. Luckily there was enough charge to restart it. Two questions can a person access the hybrid battery for jumping purposes and can you turn off the hybrid system for a period for situations like this. Not so important now but later as these get older it will be important
For jumping purposes, you can't access the main battery. For safety reasons, it has relays that only close through the 12v system. That being said, you don't need much more than 8 D cells to get the computer to close those relays.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

It doesn't matter if the ICE is running or not, as long as the hybrid system is on ("READY") the traction battery will recharge the 12v battery. The ICE will shut off when it has reached operating temperature and there is sufficient charge in the traction battery. As the traction battery continues to charge the 12v battery, and run other accessories, the ICE will eventually restart to recharge the traction battery.