Main Hybrid Battery Died! Toyota HiHy '06

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Enthusiast
Red face Main Hybrid Battery Died! Toyota HiHy '06

My husband was driving to Tahoe when about 100 miles out... after a gas fill up a "bunch" of lights plus a BIG RED "!" mark appeared on the dash.

He decided not to risk the drive and came home and went straight to the dealer before turning of the car. It was Memorial Day wkend, so we didn't hear till Tuesday.

The news was certainly bad - "according to diagnostic tests" it was the Main Hybrid Battery.. like the the $5K one (fortunately we're still under warranty), thank God.

Anyway, this concerns me as I'm usually the principal driver and I drive it from No. Calif to the desert (9 hours) a couple of times a year with two dogs and a cat.

Needless to say having that happen to me on the I-5 or our Bakersfield Grapevine (miles of outrunning 18 wheelers) is creepy. When I told this to the Svs. Mgr. asking for some "promise" I knew he couldn't give - he said .. "Well, this IS rare... I wouldn't worry about it happening again".

I own a '04 Prius also ... love the cars. However, even my husband's concerned about me out there on the highway having seen this happen he wants to put me in a new GAS vehicle. Yikes!! No way Jose!

Anyone out there have a similar incident or comment.

Jozella

Old 05-30-2008, 03:50 AM
Automania Enthusiast
Default Re: Main Hybrid Battery Died! Toyota HiHy '06

We have both a 05 Prius (wifes) and an 06 Highlander Hybrid and they run flawlessly. In fact we know or have talked with several others owning and they as well have not had a single problem. I wouldn't be to concerned.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

It's very rare for a battery to fail like that. I just saw a newsweek article on it: http://www.newsweek.com/id/138808/page/2

Here's my take on it: http://hybridreview.blogspot.com/200...d-battery.html

Long story short, battery failure is a rare occurrence and not one you should normally worry about. At least, not any more or less than any other car part failing.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Contributor ($)

I know many people would be interested in hearing some more details about this "battery failure".

Any additional information such as the diagnostic codes, etc from the paperwork Toyota provides would be of interest.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Main Hybrid Battery Died! Toyota HiHy '06

Thanks for the responses and assurances and I will provide the details of the diagnostics (if I can get them from the Dealer). I'm sure providing the print out is not normal procedure. I could tell them that I'm in a "Hybrid Club" and they want to know.

I thought of the "odd are that any car will possibly fail sometime"... but because of the "specialized" nature of this vehicle.. if one has trouble on the road.. it's not like you can go to just the nearest mechanic for a "fix", like the old days.

I've been sooo smug since I'm the "early adaptor and main "procurer" or these Hybrids in the family. Finally sold a Son on the Prius - so he bought Two with Freeway Fast Track stickers.

He decided to sell one of them and posted it on Craig's List. Had responses from EVERYWHERE in California with offers OVER ASKING. It was a bidding war. The Freeway "Commuter Stickers" are very valuable here as only 78,000 were passed out and they are all gone.

Thanks also for the links.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:38 PM
04 prius 350,000km

you sure your pets weren't blocking the vents leading to cooling the hybrid battery? Or parked in the sun after a long downhill regen session? Anything can happen as the fans in the vents do not operate (prove me wrong though) when the car is powered off.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Main Hybrid Battery Died! Toyota HiHy '06

Thanks for your reply... my pets wouldn't be an issue as they are in "car seats" and belted.

So don't know where these vents are that you describe??? Would like to know - obviously you have knowledge and experience.

Got the SUV back... all repaired under warranty. So really don't know. Did not get the Computer Read Out. Didn't ask - I'm sure they don't let that stuff out.

Jozella

Old 06-22-2008, 11:59 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

I think the Tahoe Hybrid will "run" with a dead traction battery. It gets about 80% of the FE of a HH, and you could probably get one at a good price. The dogs,cats would like it.

The smart play would be to take the service manager's not quite word that it is very rare, and won't happen again. Gasoline cars can have sudden failures that can stop you i your tracks also- radiator leak or any severe coolant leak - sudden trans failure - sudden engine failure - an alternator failure will stop you in under 100 miles, especially with your lights on at night.

Forget about it.
Charlie

Old 07-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jozella
My husband was driving to Tahoe when about 100 miles out... after a gas fill up a "bunch" of lights plus a BIG RED "!" mark appeared on the dash.
The news was certainly bad - "according to diagnostic tests" it was the Main Hybrid Battery.. like the the $5K one (fortunately we're still under warranty), thank God.
Glad to hear everyone got home OK but you DO realize that the Hybrid Batteries carry an EIGHT YEAR warranty, right? So if it does happen 5 years from now, you will still be covered and will get another set free again.

Last edited by ndabunka; 07-03-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Main Hybrid Battery Died! Toyota HiHy '06

Yes, our '06 Highlander Battery was replaced at totally no charge. So we've set the clock back on that car a couple of years. It's nice to remember about the 8 year guarantee. In 8 years I'll be ready for whatever "Green" car is next.

Thanks for all the posts and advice.

Quick Reply: Main Hybrid Battery Died! Toyota HiHy '06

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands