Old 01-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Your Tire Pressure is at...

Poll

Old 01-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CJO2007CamryHyb
I find it hard to believe that someone is actually running over 50psi in their tires?! That's not very smart, in my mind. The Michelin LRR tires i have only allow 45psi max. I have been trying different pressures and have settled on 38. It seems to provide a good balance of mpg, ride and handling. I tried 40-42 and that seemed very stiff. The TCH drivers sideboard recommends 32psi. I think much over 40 is too high. Your risk of a blowout will increase exponentially above that, i would think.
The Bridgestone tires are rated at 52 PSI.

Most blowouts are due to UNDER-inflated tires. The "tire fiasco" of 7 years ago was due to people neglecting to inflate their tires. Texas heat, tires at 15 PSI and extended expressway driving. The tires cooked themselves to death.

Under-inflated tires generate a lot of extra heat in the sidewalls. This destroys the tire.

Tires are designed to run at their max inflated temperature all day long.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nicst47
I am also wondering if the Tire Pressure Warning light will go on if it is over inflated by too much? This is exactly what happened in my Subaru Tribeca when I went a few lbs. over max.
Quote:
Originaly Posted by rburt07
I thought the TCH ABS system looked for one tire that would rotate at a higher rpm than the other tires. This would indicate a low tire and give a warning alarm and lamp. I'm only guessing as I don't know for sure how the low tire warning works.

nicst47 and rburt07: Actually, there is a sensor in each valve stem at each wheel. Any wheel that drops 2-3 lbs will set off the warning light. I believe that you can re-set the "normal" to what ever you want, but pressing the button inside the glove comparment after inflating your tires to your desired pressure.

So..If you inflate to 40, and one wheel drops to 37, the light should come on.

Last edited by jbollt; 01-16-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

I normally run mine at 44 psi. I am not sure, but I think I have the bridgestones. I recall that the max psi rating on the tire was 51 psi. I have been in a rental TCH for about 2 weeks now and am getting much worse mileage (about 32 mpg tank average reported versus about 35 to 36 mpg in my car in winter). I don't know what the preasure is in the tires on the rental, but I suspect it is at 32 psi. I do notice that the steering is very sluggish at low speeds, such as in parking lots. I can even feel it in the steering wheel.