Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 07:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default Tire Pressure

Just wondering....

I have read a few things concerning tire pressure and mpg. (more pressure - better mpg). Is this true? AND if it is, what pressure is optimal?

I love my car. Have had it for 2 weeks now. The only thing I didn't like was the beep when in reverse. I did some searching and found out how to turn it off. Much better.

Old 04-14-2005, 07:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire Pressure

Higher pressures DEFINTELY will earn you more MPG. But it's a decision which might cause you a lot of trouble to make. Read on this forum and the web for all the varying opinions....User xcel on this site swears by the safety and MPG benefits of over-inflating, so he might be able to refer you to other posts he has made on this issue - he is a MPG champ, so his tips DO INDEED work. I have settled on 48-50 PSI for the stock Bridgestone B381 on my 2004 HCH, and I have averaged about 48.3 MPG so far..Good luck...

Old 04-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Prius <3r

I have the 2005 Prius and when I bought it the salesman told me to keep it at 35 psi. Maintained. I'm sure that's what it states in the manual as well, though, I wouldn't know I haven't made time to read it yet. It's only been a week after all.

Old 04-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Red,

Check the label on the B pillar of the vehicle on the drivers side, with the drivers door open. You will notice the factor spec tire pressures. Specifically that the fronts are 2 psi higher than the rears. Follow that, but if you choose to run higher pressure, make sure that you always keep a 2 psi differential between the front and rear tires.

However, having a higher pressure than the factory will give you better mileage, guaranteed. I run 40 front and 38 rear. Some run even higher than that. It is safe for the tires and safe for the vehicle.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:09 AM
Enthusiast

I was burned on tire pressure once. The temperature dropped and so did my mileage. I couldn't figure it out but when I checked my pressure it all made sense: colder air condensed the air in the tires and deflated them. But it works the other way too: check the pressure when it starts warming up. Anymore, I check every week - more if I suspect anything.

I run 39/37 because I want to run higher than spec but still a little woozy about over-inflation.