Windows Mobile Pocket PC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 04:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Windows Mobile Pocket PC?

Originally Posted by Droid13
OK, finally after much tweaking and a fair bit of procrastination, here it is for those interested. Although this program is built for Win Mobile 5 or higher I found an issue with running it on older Pocket PC 2003 devices (at least using the emulator to test), so I spent a bit of time creating a work around so it should work on them too. I also created a web site for registrations because I thought it would be nice to know how many use this free software. You can read about it, download and try this out at my new web site:

www.droid13.com
Very, very impressive Andy...looks like it will work well on my Cingular 8525.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Looks good, Andy...

Just a couple of questions/comments, though.

I have spent the last 20 minutes trying to enter a couple of my first tanks.

1. I have had to delete my car and start over several times because it seems to move the decimal place on me when I enter data (like fuel quantity or miles or cost of fuel). Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

2. Is there a way to delete an event? In other words, if I enter a tank of fuel incorrectly, can I delete that tank? Or do I have to delete the vehicle and start over?

3. Finally, it seems that the "cost" field is required when you enter fuel data. Could this field be optional? I have no idea what I paid for my gas a year ago, as I didn't record that info in my spreadsheet. It would be cool if you could enter a global "average" price per gallon for gas, and it would use this to calculate the cost of your fuel over the life of a vehicle.

Sorry to throw so many questions at you so soon, but I really think I like this program, and want to continue using it!

Thanks again,
Jeff

EDIT:

I think I figured out the moving decimal point. It appears that if you enter a number as an integer (without a decimal point, i.e. "13" instead of 13.0) in the "fuel" or "cost" field when adding an event, it will effectively divide the number by 1000. In other words, 13 becomes .013. If you enter a number WITH the decimal point included, it works fine. That bit me several times, since my first tank was 13.0 gallons, and I got it wrong 3 times!

ANOTHER EDIT!:
I found an option in the settings for "Automatic decimal entry", and unchecked it. This seems to fix the issue.

Last edited by spiff72; 06-15-2007 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:14 AM
HSD Organic Interface

I added the "Automatic Decimal Entry" option because on my phone it's a pain to enter the decimal point. I think in the future I might create some kind of on screen number pad for entering these fields. I know some devices have better real keyboards than others. Mine isn't that easy to use.

At this point its probably best to guesstimate the cost of a fuel fill based on a standard gasoline price but you'd have to figure that out before entering the data. I'll consider building an option in the future for a standard price for entering old data that doesn't have price info. I really liked the idea of having "operating cost" calculations so that is why fuel price is required entry.

There is a section in the help file at the end that describes how you can edit the database (info text) files directly if you make a mistake on data entry. When I originally started building this program it was just going to be for me, so I created the program to use simple text files for data storage that were easy for me to edit if I goofed on entering data. One of the big changes I would like to do for a new version is convert the text datafiles to a Mobile SQL database, and then I will add the ability to edit previous event entries directly in the program, and also allow people to create their own custom events/alerts to record.

Last edited by Droid13; 06-15-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
I added the "Automatic Decimal Entry" option because on my phone it's a pain to enter the decimal point. I think in the future I might create some kind of on screen number pad for entering these fields. I know some devices have better real keyboards than others. Mine isn't that easy to use.

At this point its probably best to guesstimate the cost of a fuel fill based on a standard gasoline price but you'd have to figure that out before entering the data. I'll consider building an option in the future for a standard price for entering old data that doesn't have price info. I really liked the idea of having "operating cost" calculations so that is why fuel price is required entry.

There is a section in the help file at the end that describes how you can edit the database (info text) files directly if you make a mistake on data entry. When I originally started building this program it was just going to be for me, so I created the program to use simple text files for data storage that were easy for me to edit if I goofed on entering data. One of the big changes I would like to do for a new version is convert the text datafiles to a Mobile SQL database, and then I will add the ability to edit previous event entries directly in the program, and also allow people to create their own custom events/alerts to record.
Thanks for that info...

I got all my data entered, but i might like to go back and edit the temperature data. I will look at editing them directly in the text files.

Nice work!