Where to Buy Extended Warranty - Best Price

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 04:09 PM
I don't roll on Shabbos
Default Re: Where to Buy Extended Warranty - Best Price

Originally Posted by flopshot
Has anyone bought a prepaid 4yr/55k service agreement for their TCH lately? If so, what is the going price?
I bought a 4/55/0 deduct premium service plan from Midwest Toyota in KS for $778 several weeks ago, but that's NOT the going rate. You can try bartering with Chris (in finance) at (620) 662-6631. Otherwise, the going rate there is $875. Basically, it was a $200+ increase across from the board between late July (when I first inquired) to early August (when I purchased). I have a feeling Toyota will be jacking the price up again in early Sept., so if you want one, get it now....

And $58 each for 5 oil changes? You're definitely getting taken to the cleaners on that deal. BAIL OUT NOW! For starters, you only need to get your oil changed every 5k miles, not 3k as Jiffy Lube proponents would have you believe. Today's oil (especially synthetics) are engineered to last significantly longer...go with Mobil 1, if you can.

Last edited by lefty1970; 08-22-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brennja
Just paid $476 for 7yr/75,000 miles Toyota Vehicle Platinum Warranty with $50 deductible.
Don't be shy--where did you get that deal? I have found nothing close.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Enthusiast

Planet Toyota, Matteson, IL

Old 08-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Question Re: Where to Buy Extended Warranty - Best Price

Originally Posted by lefty1970
I bought a 4/55/0 deduct premium service plan from Midwest Toyota in KS for $778 several weeks ago, but that's NOT the going rate. You can try bartering with Chris (in finance) at (620) 662-6631. Otherwise, the going rate there is $875. Basically, it was a $200+ increase across from the board between late July (when I first inquired) to early August (when I purchased). I have a feeling Toyota will be jacking the price up again in early Sept., so if you want one, get it now....

And $58 each for 5 oil changes? You're definitely getting taken to the cleaners on that deal. BAIL OUT NOW! For starters, you only need to get your oil changed every 5k miles, not 3k as Jiffy Lube proponents would have you believe. Today's oil (especially synthetics) are engineered to last significantly longer...go with Mobil 1, if you can.
Oil changes at the dealer are always mega-expensive, when I took my CaddySTS to the dealer every once in a while for an oil change, it was usually around $70 OTD. Even Jiffy Lube charged me $45 for the Caddy.

Anyway, how much does the routine 15k/30k/45k services each cost a la carte? I'm just calculating that if I paid the $875 to Midwest Superstore, than even if I factor 9 oil chages at $50 each, that's still $425 for those three services, which sounds a little high. And if you feel $50/oil change is high, then the price of the routine services gets even higher. Any thoughts?

Old 08-23-2006, 03:25 PM
I don't roll on Shabbos

Oil changes at the dealer are always mega-expensive...
I don't doubt you there, but I think for true peace of mind, I'll stick with the dealer for this car. The TCH is filled with components that are not readily known to most 3rd party mechanics, and I would hate to have one them accidentally dislodge or screw something up (e.g. using a non-Toyota oil filter whose gasket may come off and stick to the intake area when changing...and when a new filter is added, there would be two gaskets there and cause all sorts of mayhem...shudder). Anyway, it's true - you're going to pay more at the dealer, but the pre-paid plan is simply a temporary hedge against price/labor increases over the next few years.

Anyway, how much does the routine 15k/30k/45k services each cost a la carte? I'm just calculating that if I paid the $875 to Midwest Superstore, than even if I factor 9 oil chages at $50 each, that's still $425 for those three services, which sounds a little high. And if you feel $50/oil change is high, then the price of the routine services gets even higher. Any thoughts?
I did a cost analysis on the price of each BASIC service interval (at 5k, 10k, 20k, 25k, 35k and 40k miles) and the MAJOR service intervals (15k, 30k and 45k miles) that my dealer was offering. You're only saving about $25 if you get the premium pre-paid maintenance plan versus getting these services done at the time they're needed. However, undoubtedly Toyota's operating costs are going to rise over the next 4 years, and as such, so will the price of parts and labor. Again, it's only a hedge against future price increases, which is why (even at $875), I still think it's a deal...but ONLY if you plan to take your car to the dealer for all maintenance (tire rotations, oil changes, fluid replenishment, etc.) Throw in the fact that the prepaid plan also offers 24-hour roadside assistance for lockout protection (or if you lost your FOB), flat tire changes, jump starts, fluid delivery and towing for mechanical breakdown and collision recovery to the dealer of your choice within a certain radius (something like 50 miles)....I think I'd shell out for peace of mind now.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Enthusiast

I'm sorry for being so dense, but I'm confused. There was some talk about being directed to someone else for the warranty? Are you able to buy the official Gold or Platinum Toyota Warranty after the fact from Toyota? Or is it some kind of look-alike?

Thanks!

Donald

Old 08-25-2006, 01:43 PM
I don't roll on Shabbos

Originally Posted by donald_s
I'm sorry for being so dense, but I'm confused. There was some talk about being directed to someone else for the warranty? Are you able to buy the official Gold or Platinum Toyota Warranty after the fact from Toyota? Or is it some kind of look-alike?
Donald - The "look-alike" warranty you're referring to most likely is not purchased through a Toyota dealer directly, but rather through an independent, 3rd party organization like "Warranty Direct" and "Autowarranties.com". Historically, the prevailing mentality is that the 3rd party warranties are less expensive than dealers. Not true. If you take a look at some of the dealers mentioned in this thread, you'll see on a coverage-per-coverage basis, the dealer's cost can be substantially less than one of these aftermarket places. Plus, if one of these 3rd party companies goes belly-up (which they have known to do), you're left holding the bag, because (from my understanding) Toyota won't honor the contract. Whatever merchant (dealer or 3rd party) you decide to go with, you have until the point where your original, bumper-to-bumper factory warranty expires (which I believe is 3 years or 36,000 miles - whichever comes first) to make the purchase. Hope that answers your question - if not, please let me know.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast

Just watch out for some of the aftermarket warrentees and I had one on a General Motors product and they went belly up the first year and left everyone holding the bag. most are a scam, better make sure its genuine Toyota.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Enthusiast

Ken, thanks for much for the thorough reply.

I called the local Toyota dealer and they said it would be $1,200 for a 7/75/ $50 deductible platinum warranty. Is what I'm seeing here true, that other dealers are offering the same warranty for $700 or so? Seems odd.

Thanks so much all.

Donald

Old 08-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by donald_s

Thanks!

Donald
You can buy a real genuine Toyota Platinum or Gold Warranty from Toyota after the fact. You can do it within the original bumper to bumper warranty period 3/36. You need not purchase it from YOUR dealer either. There are several reputable Toyota Dealers that sell Genuine Extended Warranties that are honored by all Toyota dealerships.
Toyota of Greenfield (MA) is one that comes to mind and Troy Detrich is the fellow to talk to for additional info. There are certainly others but I don't have first hand experience with any other the Troy at TOG.
7/75/50 for about $700 is in the ballpark.
Hope this helps,
J

Last edited by schmidtj; 08-25-2006 at 06:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Where to Buy Extended Warranty - Best Price

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands