Warranty / Repair Items for TCH?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Warranty / Repair Items for TCH?

Originally Posted by haroldo
Hate to stir a hornet's nest, but inquiring minds want to know....
Could the pressure at 38 PSI versus the recommended 32 PSI caused the relatively short life?
Correct me if I am wrong, but tires, in general, should last 40M-50M miles, no?
I don't know the answer to this, one way or the other, but 26M miles is pretty poor, isn't it?
I followed others on this forum & bumped up my pressure to gain 1 or 2 MPG....

I experienced the same problem with my 2004 Sienna XLE Limited... the Bridgestones wore out around 30K. I think that they were a low quality OEM tire that was bought in quantity at a good price to supply the Toyota's that came off the line.

The Goodyear Triple Treads have been good to me so far....

Old 06-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Old Boomer Techie

Originally Posted by jwltch
I've had my 08 for nearly 8 months and have just under 5,600 miles. No problems whatsoever. No squeaks...nothing. The best car I've ever owned overall.
20,000 on mine in sixteen months. "No problems whatsoever. No squeaks...nothing. The best car I've ever owned overall." The only thing I have ever done besides gas and routine service is the Brake TSB because it sometimes gave a "squeak" while backing out in the morning, and that was in conjuction with an oil change.

I am gonna' have this car a long, long, l o n g time!

Old 06-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Could the pressure at 38 PSI versus the recommended 32 PSI caused the relatively short life?
I don't know the answer to this, one way or the other, but 26M miles is pretty poor, isn't it?
I feel it is safe to assume that it is a well known fact that even if you were add a few PSI to the Bridgestones they still stink. There has been a vast number of folks on this forum who have experienced quick tread wear.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Enthusiast

Has anyone ever experienced a battery problem? Or a problem with the transaxle (including the embedded motor/generators)? Or with the power controller? Just seems like some of that stuff has to fail.... (but hope not!) Ken S.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've had more than my share of warranty issues though none ever put my TCH out of service. Major ones: in Reverse Order. Rear Trunk Latch;
Shifter area squeak noise replaced shifter assembly per TSB. Also front passenger door rubber seal/gasket fell out....reinstalled by dealer (no part).
Radio replaced for weak/intermittent AM Radio reception per TSB and Converter/Transmission replaced at around 1700 miles. I now have about 18600 miles and wear on my OEM Bridgestones is disappointing like so many others. I've put two links below to my prior posts on Trunk and Transmission specifics. I may have posted in a TCH poor Radio Reception thread Cost of parts alone probably over 5K so far (not to me) is a long range concern for the day the warranty expires. Still love the car but plan on contacting TOYOTA Customer Service with concerns and, hopefully, reparations of some sort as we are considering purchasing another vehicle (for my wife not a replacement), within the year and absent a decent response Toyota may not make the list. . Mark

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...44/#post147563
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-advice-18148/

P.S. I've only owned three new cars...1985 Camry Standard Deluxe
1993 V6XLE and my 2007 TCH.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Outcast Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris_h
My experience is an aberation. I have the 2007 TCH with moonroof. The moonroof version comes with rear reading lights. When they burnt out, the replacement bulb melted into the socket. 35 days in the shop and $8900 (of toyotas warranty money) later, I got my car back. This included replacing the wiring harness (portion under the dash anyways) twice and four out of the five compluters that talk to each other to allow the car to "start."
I have two cars, 9 and 14 year old, that still have their original reading & interior light bulbs. Did Toyota say whether the bulb burning out was the root cause of the $8900 repair or just a symptom/side-effect of the wiring/computer problem?

Old 06-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am going to add my experience here with another vehicle and Bridgestones. They were the Factory installed on a company truck that I was issued new, and therefore the lower end tire. I will admit that our use of these vehicles is somewhat abnormal: We spend a lot of time on what could only be charitably described as a road. It involves _very_ rough terrain, sharp rocks, even sharper plants, and extreme slopes. (My 'day job' is weird) The factory Bridgestones lasted 5000 miles before replacement was necessary. We typically do not wear out our tires, we chew them off.

I believe that they were a 2-ply sidewall and 4-ply tread, but I'm not sure. The rubber compound seemed softer than what we were usually getting. Of the four trucks that were put in service in our work group at the same time, we all had to replace all tires before 7000 miles.

That being said, we replaced the tires with another, different, Bridgestone and have had them last 30,000 so far. My point is that there are differing levels of "quality" for each manufacturer, and that the car manufacturer gets the cheapest ones they can get away with.

As with anything, you get what you pay for. And there is the old saw about picking the right tool for the job. Don't panic, just do your best with what you have, and put a little away for the inevitable replacement.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had the Bridgestones and got 38000 out of them before I replaced them with Mich Primacys. Tire Rack shows the Bridgestones rated at 260AA so 26000 is not horrible.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've run my Bridgestones at 42psi front, 40psi rear and have 40K miles on them. They measure between 4/32 and 5/32 and are wearing quite evenly. I expect to replace them around 45K miles.

I think the tire life is very dependent on driving style and road surfaces. My commute is smooth concrete freeways and asphalt roads with few turns. I also keep my speed between 60 and 65 miles per hour on the freeway most of the time.

As to warranty items, I had the center console cricket noise fix, the aux audio filter, and the brake squeak TSBs performed. All made a noticable difference and I recommend them.

Last edited by nash; 06-06-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

With 4,000 miles in the last 2 1/2 months on my 08 the only warranty issue has been replacing the Hybrid emblem on the right fender... The original emblem was doing a "crash dive" at about a 25 degree down angle... Other than that "crisis" so far so good...

Quick Reply: Warranty / Repair Items for TCH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands