Upgrading the Head Unit on a 2017 Camry Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 12:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default Upgrading the Head Unit on a 2017 Camry Hybrid?

So I bought a 2017 Toyota Camry Altise AVV50R (Hybrid) recently, and I'm pretty impressed with it thus far... I am however, hoping to replace the factory-installed head unit (stereo), primarily so that I can use Apple CarPlay and / or Screen Mirroring.

The head unit (stereo) currently installed is the factory-installed "standard" (non-multimedia / navigation) head unit (stereo), which displays various status information (estimated range, energy used / consumed, energy obtained via regenerative braking, etc...) and gives users access to the vehicle settings... Some of the status information is available via the "multi-information display" (near the speedometer) - but access to the vehicle settings is - as best I can tell - only available via the factory-installed head unit (stereo).

Although I would prefer not to, I could reluctantly forgo some of the status information if it meant a better head unit (stereo) - but the inability to change vehicle settings would probably bring my plans to a halt.

What are my options for upgrading the head unit in order to have Apple CarPlay and / or Screen Mirroring capabilities in the car?
  • Can I contact Toyota for an upgraded head unit (stereo) that supports Apple CarPlay and / or Screen Mirroring (e.g. one from a 2020 model Toyota Camry Hybrid)?
  • Can I purchase a more recent (e.g. 2020) Toyota Camry Hybrid head unit (stereo) online (e.g. eBay, etc...) or at a wreckers and just chuck it in?
  • Can I purchase a third-party (after market) head unit and still retain the status information / and / or access to the car settings?
  • Is there a way to change the vehicle settings without using the head unit (stereo)?

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts or better yet, from somebody that has replaced the head unit on a late-model Camry (Hybrid)...