Car Stereo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 08:56 AM
Enthusiast

Hey, I just wanted to know if anyone has installed a non-factory stereo into their HCH.
I just got a new JVC head unit from Crutchfield.com, seeing as how the Honda factory stereos aren't exactly the greatest (or loud enough for a 23 year old like me). When I received my head unit, Crutchfield.com had included self-installation instructions for me, er, my boyfriend. Slight hitch, though, when my boyfriend tried to install said unit, he found that the instructions were for a regular Honda Civic and NOT a HCH. I guess I wanted to let everyone know, in case you're going to install your own stereo in your HCH, I HAVE NOT found seller-supplied self-installation instructions that are specifically for a HCH....be forwarned, then, that if you don't have a proper prying tool, you shouldn't try to "pry" the bottom of your center console off. While most Honda cars are all "snaps" on the front console, it appears that the HCH has one (yes, ONE) little screw that will not let you pull the console out without breaking one of those darned snaps.
I've discovered in this stereo-fixing quest of mine that most local stores and dealerships in my area have never even SEEN a hybrid vehicle, much less WORKED on one. My best suggestion for this is to simply take your HCH to BEST BUY (of all places).
Also, an FYI for HCH owners who have the extended HondaCare warranty plans: the office told me that having a non-factory stereo installed (either by a Honda employee or other person) would NOT void the warranty contract. In the same breath, however, I was told that anything (and I DO mean ANYTHING) that malfunctioned as a result of said installation would not be covered at that time or in the future. You've been warned.

But here's the rub - I'd like to install a subwoofer and amp into my HCH, but I've recently been told that doing so would seriously affect my MPG and my battery life. Any HCH mechanical buffs: HELP! I need advice! :o

Old 10-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

It sounds like it is a little late to help you, but...

I also got a installation sheet from Crutchfield. I decided after a little pulling and tugging that the sheet was incorrect. I then started looking at the EX sheet that came with my set and it was more correct for the Hybrid. I did call them (and e-mail) to tell them the sheet they had was wrong, but they must not have corrected it yet.

Did you put in the entire kit that they sent? I did not want to put in the entire black kit, so I have found one just for the radio. I have yet to get it yet because I got to the point of taking the radio out and couldn't. I am going to have to bite the bullet and do it though because I want my other radio in.

Billy

Old 10-24-2004, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, it's a little late for help with the stereo, since it's already been installed...
but yes, I did install the whole black kit that Crutchfield sent (I wanted to keep my cubby-hole and since my stereo is black, well, it looks nice). I'm not sure which Civic model the instructions Crutchfield sent me were for, but I know it wasn't a HCH....I've sent them an email, but oh well.
Have you heard anything about installing subs though? Where's our HCH rep?

Old 10-24-2004, 01:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'd love to only upgrade my rear deck speakers but haven't attempted to remove the rear deck cover.
It looks like all the plastic panels are interlocked.

It would have been too easy if Honda would have bolted the speakers from underneath, allowing access from the trunk space....or even made the top speaker grills pull-off for easy top access.

But N-oooooooooooo !

Old 10-29-2004, 07:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Bunnie_Tilley, what kind of JVC did you get?

I'm thinking of changing my Kenwood by a JVC next year.

I wanna get the one that plays DVD/MP3 and regular CD's (to copy all my MP3's on one single DVD.... ).

Did you get this model?

Old 11-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Car Stereo Questions

is anyone still working on hch car stereos thees days? I want an engineering sound system. Looking for manuals or a few tips..

Old 12-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast

I put a jensen VM9514 Nav unit in my 05 HCH. I also had a 10" powered sub in it until I blew it out. I did not have any degradation in performance.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Enthusiast

oh forgot to mention I have had the stock unit out since I bought it three years ago

Old 01-31-2011, 10:55 PM
Veteran Mechanic

Well if it helps I have installed a 500w amp and a box with 2 10" subs in my trunk. I also installed a 2x oversized 12v battery to deal with the load. So far I have seen no changes other than positive from the larger 12v battery and it never runs down while using my stereo or 400w power inverter I installed in the glove compartment.

Last edited by Jamchel; 01-31-2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: the stock stereo was too weak for my 37 yr old ears as well lol…..