Top Speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 04:35 AM
WVGasGuy
Default Re: Top Speed

By the way, since this is a top speed posting: This is the first car I've owned that I have not tested the limits, simply because I don't want to screw up my FE readings. It's tough to make up a pint of wasted gas!

My top so far was 95 mph when my wife and I took seperate cars to go out one night to eat as we had to split different ways. She said she's save me a seat at the restruarant knowing I would "poke" around getting there. I stayed in sight of her and when I hit a really long down grade I accelerated and leveled out at 95. My FE gage was around 50+ mpg while I was "gliding".

Old 09-13-2006, 06:27 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Top Speed

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
It looks your condition was the same MG2 rpm.
My condition was the same vehicle speed.

I'm not following your comment well. Anyway, it's nothing we need to debate. Given the same rotational speed (either the MG2 rpm or the vehicle speed) the taller tire will cover more ground per rotation and the outer edge of the tire is moving at a faster speed than the smaller tire would and thus would give a speed reading that's too high. You could correct that by putting a shorter tire/wheel combo on the car.
Let's say you are driving 60 miles for one hour.
Larger tires rotate less number than smaller tires, therefore your mph reading is smaller on larger tires than on smaller tires.
Since, this is off-topic, I close my post on this.

Ken@Japan