Top Speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast
Default Top Speed

Just wondering if anyone have taken their TCH to Top Speed. I did a top speed run comming home from Reno to central Nv., around 250 miles averaging 32.4 mpg's @ an 80.7 mph's, not bad for those averages. just for info, Top Speed is 119mph, hold the pedal down and it just stays there, no faster, no slower, just 119mph. I thought i'd read it topped out at 113mph. My run was made on flat ground, no wind, at about 5000ft. elevation. I had previously run both my 06 Mustang GT and 03 Nissan 350Z to top speed, 145mph and 156mph respectively and both would shut off fuel bringing them back to just under 100mph before allowing you to thottle back up, the TCH just holds steady at 119. Just thought some might be curious what their tch's are capable of, and it was very stable with no suprises unlike the Mustang, which gets very touchy and light at its top speed.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Top Speed

Where I live I would wind up hiring an attorney to keep me out of jail for reckless driving long before I hit the top speed. Aside from which there are no safe roads for that kind of speed where I live.

Anyhow, check your tires. My guess is that the top speed is electronically governed by the speed rating of the tires. I believe T rated tires are speed rated for 119 mph, so I could definitely believe your numbers.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by certz656
Just wondering if anyone have taken their TCH to Top Speed. I did a top speed run comming home from Reno to central Nv., around 250 miles averaging 32.4 mpg's @ an 80.7 mph's, not bad for those averages. just for info, Top Speed is 119mph, hold the pedal down and it just stays there, no faster, no slower, just 119mph. I thought i'd read it topped out at 113mph. My run was made on flat ground, no wind, at about 5000ft. elevation. I had previously run both my 06 Mustang GT and 03 Nissan 350Z to top speed, 145mph and 156mph respectively and both would shut off fuel bringing them back to just under 100mph before allowing you to thottle back up, the TCH just holds steady at 119. Just thought some might be curious what their tch's are capable of, and it was very stable with no suprises unlike the Mustang, which gets very touchy and light at its top speed.
I wouldn't trust the tires that came with the TCH at those speeds. Maybe some "Z" rated tires but it would have to be on a closed course before I would try it.
J

Old 09-11-2006, 09:13 AM
Enthusiast

"Anyhow, check your tires. My guess is that the top speed is electronically governed by the speed rating of the tires. I believe T rated tires are speed rated for 119 mph, so I could definitely believe your numbers".

GEE...my hybrid came with V rated Bridgestones EL 400 -002.
I quess my top speed would be 149 mph . lol
take another look at the speed rating on your tires.......

Last edited by Litefoot; 09-11-2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:56 AM
WVGasGuy

I still can't for the life of me understand why I got V rated tires on a hybrid??????

What were they thinking? They should have installed something on this type of car with a 400+ tread wear rating at least! Not only that if the tires had been 65 series rather than the 60's my spedo would be correctly calibrated.

Who really needs a performance tire when most of the drivers are pumping the tires up anyway.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
What were they thinking? They should have installed something on this type of car with a 400+ tread wear rating at least! Not only that if the tires had been 65 series rather than the 60's my spedo would be correctly calibrated.

Very elementary question, so excuse the ignorance, but Joe, are you saying that one could switch to a 65 series tire and then the speedo would read correctly, or is there some physical reason that those would not fit or would otherwise cause a problem?

Old 09-11-2006, 10:55 AM
WVGasGuy

My current tire is a 215/60R16. From what I've read from those who checked the TCH is about 3 mph off at 70 mph. That needs to be confirmed (GPS (speed) or milage markers (for distance))

A 215/65R16 tire would read 67.09 mph when your standard tire reads 65.
A 215/70R16 tire would read 69.2 mph when your standard tire reads 65
A 225/65R16 tire would read 68.38 mph when your standard tire reads 65

The last one might be the better choice, other than it's a tad wider and may hurt actual FE. (Actually all of them will hurt the theoritical FE reading as the standard tire is probably overstating the actual FE by 3 to 5 % if the spedo is off by that much).

I guess what you lose in FE (theoretical reading, not actual FE) would be offset by picking up say 1000 more miles or so on your base warranty

Old 09-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast

In response to making a top speed run, the TCH's tires are V rated tires, safe for speeds up to 149mph. As far where my top speed was run, it was on a very isolated stretch of hiway with no traffic as you can see for 5-10 miles ahead, broad daylight, by myself and for no more than a mile, if that. Believe me, I don't make it habit to run at top speed very often, but I just wanted to see what the TCH was capable of. Running in Nv. requires driving hundreds of miles of desert roads w/ posted speeds of 75mph. Most law enforcement officers rarely look your way at speeds up to 80mph. I am thinking of attending the Silver State Run just out Ely, Nv. later this month, where cars are allowed to run at top speeds for a 50+ mile stretch under the eyes of the law. Nevada is a beautiful state, but at times is best viewed at 100mph +.

Last edited by certz656; 09-11-2006 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Here is a link to a tire calculator where you can figure out impact from different tire sizes. Since the 07Camry speedo is about 3% off on the slow side, then you can use this calculator to see what tire size you could use to "correct" the difference.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

Old 09-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

0 to 60 in ?

Quick Reply: Top Speed

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands