So what are you getting now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast
Question Re: So what are you getting now?

Hello,
I apologize for the indirect topic, but it's relevant I feel. I'm looking HARD at buying a Camry Hybrid and test drove one yesterday. Not long enough to make a good call on what I can expect from MPG performance. My situation is unique in that I drive each week a round trip of 400 miles on the highway (200 one way) and it takes me 3 hours now, driving at 80 MPH. Yes, I have a great radar dectector. So my question is this, to you current owners, what has been your experience in driving a long distance at a constant 80 MPH? What can I really expect to get in MPG?
Thank you,
James Twoquack

Old 05-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: So what are you getting now?

Originally Posted by twoquack
Hello,
I apologize for the indirect topic, but it's relevant I feel. I'm looking HARD at buying a Camry Hybrid and test drove one yesterday. Not long enough to make a good call on what I can expect from MPG performance. My situation is unique in that I drive each week a round trip of 400 miles on the highway (200 one way) and it takes me 3 hours now, driving at 80 MPH. Yes, I have a great radar dectector. So my question is this, to you current owners, what has been your experience in driving a long distance at a constant 80 MPH? What can I really expect to get in MPG? Thank you, James Twoquack
I have two long (2800 miles and 2500 miles) trips to Texas under my TCH's belt so to speak.

Both trips I averaged around 37 MPG with LONG hwy stretches of 75-80 MPH. My guess is that if you filled up a TCH and drove it to empty at 80 MPH without stopping you would probably get 34-37 MPG depending on the elevations encountered and the use of the A/C.

My lowest individual tank during either of my two trips was in December when I had to deal with really cold weather ( in the 20s F) and I had several short trips around town and got 33 MPG.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you look at my posts, you'll see where I've mentioned getting around 34-37 mpg (actual FE, not from dash) doing speeds well over 70 (actual speed cannot be disclosed). If you use cruise control you'll most likely get around 34-36mpg. If you vary your speed accordingly to reduce the effect of varying elevations you'll see up to 37 mpg or more. Cruise control on my TCH is very good (It stays within 1 mph of speed, I am still amazed by comments of poor CC) so on very steep hills it pushes the throttle as much as possible to maintain speed. I, on the other hand, allow my TCH to lose some speed on the uphill and regain it when going back down, which in turn allows me to beat CC FE by a few mpg (1 or 2 mpg).

Old 05-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chiedoziedike
If you look at my posts, you'll see where I've mentioned getting around 34-37 mpg (actual FE, not from dash) doing speeds well over 70 (actual speed cannot be disclosed).
Just curious, why can't the actual speed be disclosed? Are you really that concerned about getting caught speeding by admitting it on an internet site? Just wondering.