Getting my Camry on Friday, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Getting my Camry on Friday, now what?

I just ordered an 08 Camry and will get it on Friday. I am somewhat familiar with the hybrids (I drove a Camry three times and a Prius once), but wonder if anyone can give me some tips, etc.
Thanks!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Getting my Camry on Friday, now what?

Don't stare at the screen... yet. Get used to the car first then once you're comfortable with the operation (switches, buttons etc) then start honing in on the mileage .

The usual break-in "rules" apply - avoid excessive speeds (I believe it's > 50mph), avoid jackrabbit starts and hard braking and don't tow for the first 1000 miles. For the first 200 miles, don't use the cruise control.

Check if the vehicle is in tip-top condition. Compile a checklist (door, windows, radio, wheels etc etc) so you'll remember what to look for in terms of areas where chips/scratches are most likely to show up.

Check that all the stuff you ordered is there (cargo net, mudguards, wheel locks or what-have-you).

Old 11-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Mostly, just enjoy! There are tons of threads here with discussions of fuel economy, things to be aware of or do in order to improve it, etc etc. So I guess after "enjoy", search through here for topics of interest to you. Definitely lots of info on tires, fuel economy, hybrid mode, etc etc etc. Probably easier for you to just poke around yourself than for folks to try to put together an encapsulated version.

Though on the other hand, a FAQ would probably be handy. Reduce the number of repeat threads because it can be a little unclear where to find the specific thing you're looking for sometimes....

Old 11-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Don't stress out over it when things seem so different at first (the gear shift ****, the fab, the misc. other ways of the car).

You will get used to the things very quickly!

Old 11-14-2007, 03:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
I just ordered an 08 Camry and will get it on Friday. I am somewhat familiar with the hybrids (I drove a Camry three times and a Prius once), but wonder if anyone can give me some tips, etc.
Thanks!
I suggest you do not sign any paper work on the day you pick up the car until AFTER you take your car for a reasonable test drive. A nice easy drive around the immediate area AND a reasonable drive on the freeway at highway speeds. Convince yourself there are no glaring problems such as vibrations at higher speeds or brake problems etc. The last thing you want is to find a problem on your way home. I have always done this, and only one time, was there a problem. I was assured it could be taken care of,but I said no. I waited for another car, which I again test drove, and it was perfect. Whole thing took an extra two days. I think everyone should do this....JMHO.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:36 PM

great advice, I never would think to do that...thanks!

Old 11-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
The usual break-in "rules" apply - avoid excessive speeds (I believe it's > 50mph), avoid jackrabbit starts and hard braking and don't tow for the first 1000 miles. For the first 200 miles, don't use the cruise control.

There's no mention of excessive speeds in the Break-in Period description on page 266 of the manual, which can be viewed online at http://www.toyotaiguide.com/iGuide_CamryHybrid.htm

It does say to avoid full throttle acceleration during the break-in period, though.

Last edited by jay_man2; 11-14-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by jay_man2
... the manual, which can be viewed online at http://www.toyotaiguide.com/iGuide_CamryHybrid.htm
That was helpful. Thanks!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jay_man2
There's no mention of excessive speeds in the Break-in Period description on page 266 of the manual, which can be viewed online at http://www.toyotaiguide.com/iGuide_CamryHybrid.htm

It does say to avoid full throttle acceleration during the break-in period, though.

Looking at that page I see it mentions to avoid "Racing the Hybrid system".

Can anyone elaborate on what that means exactly?

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mystifier
Looking at that page I see it mentions to avoid "Racing the Hybrid system".

Can anyone elaborate on what that means exactly?

Thanks!
Just dirve it like you stole it and it will last a lot longer.

Quick Reply: Getting my Camry on Friday, now what?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands