Sirius Radio Issues on 07 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sirius Radio Issues on 07 Camry

Originally Posted by cohort
Hey Kluken

I'm guessing you have the electro magnetic tape covering your antenna on the windshield. I took mine off and attached 3M 2 sided tape (Pep Boys) (less tape interfering) only to the 3 padded areas of the antenna. I noticed less drops, not saying I never got a drop in signal but I did sit under an overpass today with no drop. On the other hand I went under some trees and it did break up. It's not perfect but IMO I did have less drops.

EDIT: I also get a better signal in my garage when I start it up, it does drop but before I couldn't get a thing
Not sure what tape they used, dealer installed it, but they did install it about 8 inches or more form the rear view mirror, they said it does nto adhere well to that stuff on the winshield aroudn the mirror. I know that just driving through some dense trees causes it to drop, my XM never dropped unless I was in the moutains. So far I love Sirius, but the technology compared to XM sucks.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What are these jumpers (from the earlier picture) for? What do they connect to (and where do they go)? Did you have to install them yourself?

Old 09-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spiff72
What are these jumpers (from the earlier picture) for? What do they connect to (and where do they go)? Did you have to install them yourself?

Yeah, I think this topic was in 2 different parts of this forum.

When Sirius is used instead of XM, there was distortion, static or some sort of sound issue (You can really tell on talk stations). These jumpers (wires) fixed the issue. As my Service MGR told me, others had the same issues but thought the problem was the connection between the satellite and the antenna or the area they may have beeen in at the time. Some reported only hearing the sound distortion on some channels.

How do you know if you have sound issues with your serius/toyota radio?

Here is a good test.

#1 Turn Sirius on and tune into the Weather Channel (184)

#2 adjust the BASS and MIDS to - 5 on your radio and adjust the TREBBLE to + 5. Turn the volume up loud but not enough to hurt your ears. If you hear distortion, crackling or static your radio needs these jumpers. All you should hear is a crystal clear weather report. Unfortunately I was not able to get a picture of where these jumpers go.

There are 2 dealerships so far that we know of that knows of the issue and how to fix it.

AtlantaToyota: Jesse Sisco is the Service Manager (EDITED)

(770)622-7984

Keith Pierson Toyota in Jacksonville: Timothy Stokes is the ASST. Service Manager

(904)771-9100

I had to have Mr. Stokes call Chris in Atlanta to get these jumpers and information on where to install them. Mr. Stokes told me they make these jumpers all the time and if he had a picture of them at first he wouldn't of needed Atlanta to send them.

As I said, if your Sirius/Toyota radio is not crystal clear, get these jumpers installed.

Last edited by cohort; 09-15-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Enthusiast

I have been reading this post and have a question about factory installed satellite radio. My TCH is on order, but when I asked where the antenna and reciever box would be located in the car, the salesman did not know, but said that the antenna for the satellite radio would not be located near the antena for the navigation system Anyone have information relative to factory installed satellite antenna and reciever location and where the nav antenna will be located. Thanks for all the informative information.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:14 PM
"Silver Bullet" Owner

Originally Posted by Fastforward
I have been reading this post and have a question about factory installed satellite radio. My TCH is on order, but when I asked where the antenna and reciever box would be located in the car, the salesman did not know, but said that the antenna for the satellite radio would not be located near the antena for the navigation system Anyone have information relative to factory installed satellite antenna and reciever location and where the nav antenna will be located. Thanks for all the informative information.
I have XM & the antenna is on the back between the window & the trunk. I can't believe the problems people are having with sirus. Is it really worth all that trouble?

Old 09-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronr
I have XM & the antenna is on the back between the window & the trunk. I can't believe the problems people are having with sirus. Is it really worth all that trouble?

I'm not sure about NAV and Sirius but the antenna for sirius is placed on the front windshield by the mirrior.

Once the jumpers were put on Ron, I love Sirius.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks. From you answer, I am not sure if it is inside or outside the car? Also, did they offer any discounts for XM subscription? Anyone know where the Nav antenna is mounted? Same as the XM antenna?

Old 09-15-2006, 04:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cohort

There are 2 dealerships so far that we know of that knows of the issue and how to fix it.

AtlantaToyota: Chris is the Service Manager

(770)622-7984
Actually Chris is just a tech, Jesse Sisco is the SM.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:26 AM
"Silver Bullet" Owner

Originally Posted by Fastforward
Thanks. From you answer, I am not sure if it is inside or outside the car? Also, did they offer any discounts for XM subscription? Anyone know where the Nav antenna is mounted? Same as the XM antenna?
The XM antenna (approx 1" x 1") is located outside between the back window & the trunk lid. XM offers a 90 free trail. You have to get the code from the installer. The unit itself is mounted behind the convential battery in the trunk. I do not know where the nav. antenna is mounted. Hopes this helps.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Enthusiast

This is great information. Thanks for the help.