Installing a different radio and Sirius in Prius

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Enthusiast
Default Installing a different radio and Sirius in Prius

Has anyone done this and how did it turn out? Was it just better to leave in the factory radio and get an external Sirius receiver. Does it fit into the auxilary port of the radio if there is one.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:18 PM
Crazy Hybrid Enthusiast
Default Re: Installing a different radio and Sirius in Prius

I just purchased my Sirius / Prius kit from siriusprius.com. Going to try the install tom before my big trip. I love Sirius I love the Prius its time the 2 of them hooked Up. I will let you know how it all goes.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Enthusiast

I put in a "xm" in my 05 prius and love it-- it took about 2.5 hours and i purchased the kit from xmforprius from NJ area-- the kit comes with video to do it-- they sell both sirius and xm jeff from Northern Va area

Old 09-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Crazy Hybrid Enthusiast

I think we got the same company. Cuz my guy was also from NJ and has a DVD that shows you how to do it. It took me like 3 hours to install but its GREAT. I would recommend www.siriusprius.com for anybody who would like a kick *** solution. Do not get a plug and Play if you want sat radio. I used to have one but it was a pain and the wires looked really bad. The solution fits into the back of your radio via a aux port and the system works like Toyota made all the software.

- Jason

Last edited by coz6; 09-17-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Whatever you do stick with the Prius head unit rado and get a Priusxm or Siriusprius unit to integrate into the Prius system. In spite of the install procedure, which is time consuming and requires that you disassamble the dash, the outcome is a nicely integrated XM or Sirius system with plenty of memories and touch screen control.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Enthusiast

I'm thinking about doing this. Can someone post some photos of what the external antennae looks like? Unfortunately the website doesn't have any photos of the system installed.

A few times i've temporarily had my plug and play running. Downsides are that being around NYC I had to change the broadcast frequency a few times and the loose wires, etc. Upsides are the external antennae worked fine inside on the dash above the central speaker.

Obviously the cost differential is pretty big, but it seems worth it b/c of the touch screen and always clear radio signal.

Couple other questions:
- Does this void any warranty?
- Does this install into the Aux input? And if so, can you not use the Aux input in the center consul for playing iPod type players?

Old 04-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Crazy Hybrid Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mixbreed
I'm thinking about doing this. Can someone post some photos of what the external antennae looks like? Unfortunately the website doesn't have any photos of the system installed.

A few times i've temporarily had my plug and play running. Downsides are that being around NYC I had to change the broadcast frequency a few times and the loose wires, etc. Upsides are the external antennae worked fine inside on the dash above the central speaker.

Obviously the cost differential is pretty big, but it seems worth it b/c of the touch screen and always clear radio signal.

Couple other questions:
- Does this void any warranty?
- Does this install into the Aux input? And if so, can you not use the Aux input in the center consul for playing iPod type players?
MixBreed, I would not worry about how the external Antenna looks. Its not any different then the size of your plug and play antenna and is hard to notice. As far as the Warranty I am sure it voids certain parts of it but from what I have read it does not void all of your car's warranty. I have had mine for about 8 months, and have nothing but good things to say. I hated the Plug in play because of the sound quality, and constant search for radio stations. Another company make a different unit that will work for the Prius as well and gives you extra aux jacks, it looks like they are still in R&D for the mod but it might work better for your i-pod needs.

http://www.coastaletech.com/04prius.htm

Old 04-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

So does the standard installation take away your AUX jack in the center consul?

Also, I'm assuming that the antenna installation doesn't interfere with the side curtain airbags...how do you get the wiring neatly outside your car?

Old 04-27-2006, 05:51 AM
Crazy Hybrid Enthusiast

The center consul Aux Jack, are you talking about the power Aux Jack? Because the answer to that is no. The power comes from the Radio itself via the Logic cable that they included in the kit. That Logic cable gets plugged into the back of your radio unit itself, to one of the AUX ports in the back of it. The wires do not interfere with the side air curtains. The wires all get tucked away with the other wire bundles that the factory installed. You take apart a nice portion of your car and panels to tuck it all away. Its a lot simpler then it sounds just time consuming. His DVD does a great job showing you how to do the installation step by step.

The wiring for the Antenna itself also gets routed through a few panels, the unit itself is mounted in the back seat on the driver side, you then route the antenna under some stuff in your truck and pop it back up via the hatch back. When you get done you can only see the antenna sitting on the back of your roof. When you have the hatch open is the only time you can actually see any wires. The wire is also made in such a way that opening and closing the hatch back itself is no problem.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:52 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coz6
The wiring for the Antenna itself also gets routed through a few panels, the unit itself is mounted in the back seat on the driver side, you then route the antenna under some stuff in your truck and pop it back up via the hatch back. When you get done you can only see the antenna sitting on the back of your roof. When you have the hatch open is the only time you can actually see any wires. The wire is also made in such a way that opening and closing the hatch back itself is no problem.
Okay, cool that sounds great and fairly easy. Unfortunately after reading PriusChat I realized that there have been a ton of problems with Sirius in the 2006 Prius. BUMMER!!!! Sounds like there won't be a good fix until later this summer. Guess I'll have to wait until Toyota or whomever fixes the sound problems. Even with these problems I'd rather wait for Sirius then switch to XM!