In 3 years -- Honda will have a 'H' car -- we are screwed

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy In 3 years -- Honda will have a 'H' car -- we are screwed

Hydrogen for cars and home AC/heating.... by Honda..... a reality in 3 years.

Enjoy your Hybrid 'till then.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: In 3 years -- Honda will have a 'H' car -- we are screwed

Originally Posted by clipper
Hydrogen for cars and home AC/heating.... by Honda..... a reality in 3 years.

Enjoy your Hybrid 'till then.
I've heard about this. It's a good thing, I'm glad Honda is making this a reality. This is where we need to be and not making countries who hate us rich.

Good job Honda!

Old 09-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Enthusiast

Ya.... Screw Exxon-Mobil and all the Saudis!

Old 09-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

I've heard that hydrogen would be very expensive because it is currently made from natural gas and/or oil.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:29 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by cohort
I've heard about this. It's a good thing, I'm glad Honda is making this a reality. This is where we need to be and not making countries who hate us rich.

Good job Honda!
Unfortunately, the preferred method of making the Hydrogen for the cars involves the use of natural gas, then oil, then coal. And GUESS WHERE we import most of our natural gas from. Yep, the same countries we import oil from. Check out these 2 links to read up on the issues that have to be addressed to switch to hydrogen vehicles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_vehicle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hyp...gen_Production

Guess what? There is no magic bullet. There is ALWAYS trade offs.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hydrogen is going to be great some day. It will be great for new efficient and zero-polluting ICE’s and even better for fuel-cell powered cars off in the future that will really revolutionize things.

But when was the last time you saw a hydrogen pump at your local gas station? In 3-years nearly all of the hydrogen will still be refined from fossil-fuels because that is currently by far the cheapest way to get it.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I'm not in the hydrogen fan club. Hydrogen is currently made from non-renewable sources and it is too light so it has a low energy density. Perhaps technology will advance and prove me wrong but I don't see hydrogen being a major player. Ethanol, Butanol, and Bio-diesel are much more compatable with our current petrol based infrastructure.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:08 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Further down the road:
Nuclear or solar power or wind power + sea water = cheap hydrogen

Old 09-15-2006, 04:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would have liked to have seen a link to the article. Although they may have a hydrogen powered car in three years I'm sure it's a prototype with a 7 digit price tag. Aside from the technical issues the problem with hydrogen is what kind of delivery system do we use. It's unlikely to have a mass produced and distributed hydrogen system until there are enough hydrogrn cars on the road. On the other hand having each car generate its own hydrogen from fossil fuels is expensive and inefficient.

My guess is that my TCH will be in the scrap yard long before hydrogen powered cars become a commercially viable reality (although I'm hoping I'm wrong).

Old 09-15-2006, 04:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, we thought gas was safe and clean at first too. They say the only byproduct of hydrogen fuel is water. Well, how clean is that water really going to be? I dunno, just being paranoid, but it's not without reason. We've proliferated multiple energy sources throughout our industrial history and none of them have worked out quite so well for the environment, right?

Quick Reply: In 3 years -- Honda will have a 'H' car -- we are screwed

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands