RS 3200 Alarm for the TCH

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: RS 3200 Alarm for the TCH

Thanks for the reply. Wondering what folks think about the value considering the car already has an engine immobilizer....

Old 06-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Electricity Guzzler

Ok, here's the full scoop. The alarm works no problem with the hands free. To set it you simply push the black button on the outside handle as you normally would to lock your car. To disarm it you simply open your door the normal way with your key fob in your pocket. Unlike the manual says that your dealer will probably give you, your alarm will NOT have the passive setting with the radar mode that monitors and warns of vehicle intrusion ( some thief leaning in your open window and grabbing something off the dash or seat). So, it's a glorified noise maker that will squeal if someone smashs your window to grab something. They'll be gone in a flash so not really worth it considering you already have an immobilizer which is only a 40 bit encryption from what I've heard (far too low of an encryption) - not sure what's up with that. I've set up an appt. to get the alarm taken off my car. They'll give me a full refund. I paid $285 plus tax, btw. The original asking price for this alarm was $325 plus tax, I believe. Hope this helps. Oh yeah, I saw another hycam at the dealer when I was there getting the VIP RS3200 PLUS alarm installed. To each their own. Hope this helps.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:44 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Thanks for the update, as long as the hands free functions that was the critical go/no go for me. My car arrived at the dealer today so they'll be installing the accessories I ordered tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm still going to get the alarm, even though it is mainly an annoying noise maker. I've come out to find my old car rifled through by kids on several occasions (that car had a remote that just having the keys in your pocket will sometimes unlock the doors, so the car often got left unlocked on occasion). No damage and I never leave anything inside but I figure if the kids are always screwing around with cars in driveways a little noise wouldn't hurt now and then just in case.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fullofbeans
So, it's a glorified noise maker that will squeal if someone smashs your window to grab something. They'll be gone in a flash so not really worth it considering you already have an immobilizer which is only a 40 bit encryption from what I've heard (far too low of an encryption) - not sure what's up with that. I've set up an appt. to get the alarm taken off my car. They'll give me a full refund. I paid $285 plus tax, btw. The original asking price for this alarm was $325 plus tax, I believe.
That was very helpful, thank you. I still can't believe the dealer was trying to charge me around $700 for the alarm to be installed. Wondering now whether the $500 for the Sirius Sat. Radio was a rip-off too. I did get that, but skipped the Alarm. I'm really thinking the alarm is a waste of money, to be honest....except for the random "kid" this won't discourage anyone anymore than the immobilizer.

(And, frankly, if they break my windows, they've done 90% of the damage I'd be worried about already...)