Hybrid upgrade only $3200? What's with dealers....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 07:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Hybrid upgrade only $3200? What's with dealers....

I just had my dealer price up the same trucks in gas and hybrid...it's only a $3200 difference (under 3K for my Z-plan)...my accountant confirmed the $2200 federal credit would apply to me and I think PA is $500...plus my credit union takes .5% off an auto loan for a hybrid...it's a no-brainer after that...well, after the wait I'll have to actually get one.
I tell you after talking to two dealers you can really tell they only want to sell what they have on their lot....my long time dealer sounds fine about ordering it but he had all his number ready to show how a hybrid might not be justified yet or would take to long to pay off the difference, and his first work ups of trucks had the hybrid all loaded up which really made it look more expensive....second dealer just wanted no part of it, flat out said the technology "wasn't there yet", yet he had no idea what the hybrid mpg was...neither seemed to know about the tax credit....I guess I can see their point (I own a business and know it's good to sell what's in stock) but when someone is pretty up front they are looking for a hybrid....oh well...gotta get some financing numbers from my credit union

Old 12-14-2007, 07:59 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default Re: Hybrid upgrade only $3200? What's with dealers....

First rule of sales dont sell what you dont have and cant get.

My dealer here told me the hybrids arent worth it and they dont sell many. What a shame. I bet if you went to the Toyota dealer they will tell you adifferent story, but then they sell hybrids. The biggist problem Ford has selling hybrids is their own sales force!

Old 12-14-2007, 08:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slick
I just had my dealer price up the same trucks in gas and hybrid...it's only a $3200 difference (under 3K for my Z-plan)...my accountant confirmed the $2200 federal credit would apply to me and I think PA is $500...plus my credit union takes .5% off an auto loan for a hybrid...it's a no-brainer after that...well, after the wait I'll have to actually get one.
I tell you after talking to two dealers you can really tell they only want to sell what they have on their lot....my long time dealer sounds fine about ordering it but he had all his number ready to show how a hybrid might not be justified yet or would take to long to pay off the difference, and his first work ups of trucks had the hybrid all loaded up which really made it look more expensive....second dealer just wanted no part of it, flat out said the technology "wasn't there yet", yet he had no idea what the hybrid mpg was...neither seemed to know about the tax credit....I guess I can see their point (I own a business and know it's good to sell what's in stock) but when someone is pretty up front they are looking for a hybrid....oh well...gotta get some financing numbers from my credit union
First I say jump on it! do it! But before ordering, so what I did, search the net & call around, you might find one that fits your options and not have to wait. I did have to drive out of state, 150mi from home, to get mine. But I had it the day I wanted it, not 3-6 months later!

I only had a small inquary with dealers face to face on this issue, but like you, they seemed ignorant of the benefits or anything Hybrid related. Atleast the dealer i purchased from had several & my salesman seemed sorta knowledgeable, can't really judge when you all readed searched the net for a week learning everything (you thought there was) to know about the Hybrid!

Search eBay for dealer listings, someone suggest yahoo autos, and of course dealer sites. But sadly it may take a search & a call, end even then they may not know what they have. My 1st dealer I looked up online, saw exactly waht I wanted in picture on their lot, & 10 miles from me, great! I know demand is high as at this time gas is $3.40 localy. So I call, you got this? Yup sure do. I drive out and the salesmans is goosenecking all over the tiny lot looking for it. Finally goes in and asks someone, nope sorry sold it 2 days ago. But we have this used 06 w/ none of the options or colors your looking for, for about $5k less than a new one....

So good luck, wish you well in your finding adventures, and if you have to order, well then, Merry Christmas '08!

Old 12-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

It took me just about a year to convince a friend who is a salesman at a dealer here that I really did want to buy one.

The big issue seems to be that only certain dealers are authorized to service/sell them. That is, not all Ford dealers are Ford Hybrid dealers. I think there is a requirement for them to have a trained tech on staff before they can order the units from Ford.

If thats the case it it's not really all that surprising that dealers wouldn't go to the expense of training and certifying a service tech for a vehicle that they don't think they are going to sell.

In the end my friend/salesman is getting the FEH "on paper" from another dealer in a larger centre that is hybrid authorized. I am a little concerned about the fact that I won't be able to take it in to the shop here is something ever goes wrong. (I'm about 400km from the actual dealer/service centre) My hope is that by buying locally I can show the dealer that there is a demand and that if they invested in having staff trained that it might pay off.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I right about the requirement of having trained techs as a pre req. to selling hybrids?

Better yet do you think I'm taking a foolish risk by owning one (to arrive early to mid 2008) so far away from a service point?

Old 12-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Better yet do you think I'm taking a foolish risk by owning one (to arrive early to mid 2008) so far away from a service point?
No because a certified dealer my not have a good tech (like mine here) and though they are complex most of what goes wrong is other systems that don't involve the hybrid controls. Even engine drivability problems are pretty straight forward. Also tech come and go at dealerships so all they have to do is sit through a class or 2 and get certified. Doesn't make them good techs.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Valiant Indecision
It took me just about a year to convince a friend who is a salesman at a dealer here that I really did want to buy one.

The big issue seems to be that only certain dealers are authorized to service/sell them. That is, not all Ford dealers are Ford Hybrid dealers. I think there is a requirement for them to have a trained tech on staff before they can order the units from Ford.

If thats the case it it's not really all that surprising that dealers wouldn't go to the expense of training and certifying a service tech for a vehicle that they don't think they are going to sell.

In the end my friend/salesman is getting the FEH "on paper" from another dealer in a larger centre that is hybrid authorized. I am a little concerned about the fact that I won't be able to take it in to the shop here is something ever goes wrong. (I'm about 400km from the actual dealer/service centre) My hope is that by buying locally I can show the dealer that there is a demand and that if they invested in having staff trained that it might pay off.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I right about the requirement of having trained techs as a pre req. to selling hybrids?

Your dealership should invest in the training because other Ford hybrids are the future. All they need to do is take their best tech and send him to the training course for hybrid certification because he or she can still work on non- hybrids. Many of the new technologies used in hybrids are now being used more and more on non-hybrids also.

With gas prices going up, many people just can't afford NOT to buy a hybrid anymore. When you have to put out $70 and more each week for gas, it doesn't take long to wakeup. Also, people are getting more concern about greenhouse gases as they watch the news and Gore's film. When you compare the FEH to the standard Escape closely, you will see what I mean. Here's a link you may want to pass on to your dealership:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/hybri...ysis-4100.html

If you look at the members of this site, you will see many have two hybrids now. I know my next purchase will also be a hybrid real soon.

GaryG

Old 12-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

$3200? I'm glad they Colorado tax people didn't research that as thouroughly as you did. They say the difference is $3489 and since the tax credit is based on the difference, they are going to write me a check for that amount this spring on my tax return for making the smart descision to buy a hybrid.

I find it really interesting that people get so hung up on the pay back period of owning a hybrid. No one ever talks about the pay back period when you upgrade from the base engine to the turbo/V6/V8 option--obviously because it is going to be MORE expensive to run. Still, people spend extra money on their purchase and on gas for those choices every day because faster cars are "fun." Maybe I'm a geek, but I have more way fun driving our hybrids than any other cars I've owned before.

Seriously though, the dealer has GOT to be making more money selling you a more expensive car--shame on them for trying to talk you out of it!

Old 12-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

GaryG, First off you're preaching to the choir - I already laid down my deposit .... I'm sold and I'll deal with the servicing when (if) it's ever an issue.

As far as the dealer investing in the training - it's all fine for you and me to agree (which we do) that it's the best thing and the real future of technology.... but it's entirely another thing for the General Manager or service manager at the dealership, to justify it. You have to spend money to send someone way to take the course + deal with being short staffed while they are gone .... and all that when (in their mind) you probably won't sell any of these things any ways because it's "not what people here buy".

I see their side of it, that's why I was so adamant with my friend that I wanted one and wanted to buy it here. I could have just skipped the middle man of the local dealer and bought it out of Edmonton.... but then the locals would still be able to think "no one here buys those".

Yes go ahead say it: I am a hybrid martyr.

Last edited by Valiant Indecision; 12-14-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kristian
Seriously though, the dealer has GOT to be making more money selling you a more expensive car--shame on them for trying to talk you out of it!
I dunno about that - in my case I'm guessing it's now two dealers splitting the profit from one sale. Probably part of the reason it took some convincing. I had to say that I was going to buy a hybrid one way or another so if they wanted any part of the sale then they had better find a way to get me one.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Any ideas how to search for inventory online? I searched on the "search dealer inventory" link on the ford website and used cars.com and a couple others from the net...nothing "new" within 500 miles...some 08's a few hundred miles away but all had atleast 10-15Kon them already and the price of those is barely below my zplan price...

Quick Reply: Hybrid upgrade only $3200? What's with dealers....

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands