Rattles resolved

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rattles resolved

Originally Posted by talljetman2
So a small rubber strip will do the trick huh? Anyone done the same to the rear-window area? I notice some rattles back there along the where the plastic covering of the side-airbag housing comes in contact near the window/roof area... and when I turn up the stereo a little bit. Doens't take a lot of volume to get a rattle sometimes. A couple rattles back there, just not sure where they all are. Would have been nice if the interior constuction was a bit nicer but o well just have to fix it up then. So, anyone mess around with the back window area?
I have problems around the battery vent cover. Last time I played with it I broke a clip! HA!

Old 04-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Malcontent

Originally Posted by talljetman2
So a small rubber strip will do the trick huh? Anyone done the same to the rear-window area? I notice some rattles back there along the where the plastic covering of the side-airbag housing comes in contact near the window/roof area... and when I turn up the stereo a little bit. Doens't take a lot of volume to get a rattle sometimes. A couple rattles back there, just not sure where they all are. Would have been nice if the interior constuction was a bit nicer but o well just have to fix it up then. So, anyone mess around with the back window area?
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...uctions-12327/

Old 05-18-2009, 06:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Well, the pipe foam worked for a few weeks, but I am noticing an increasing amount of rattles again. I guess I'm going to let the dealer take a stab at it. They claim that they have one guy who has done ALL the dash rattle repair jobs (TSB) and that he's had great success. Since my bumper-to-bumper warranty ends in under a month, now is my last chance.

Of course, I will post my experiences with this repair soon after it is complete.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:31 PM
Enthusiast

Anyone have or had an issue with the roof ratting?

I have a rattle in the roof in what sounds like the area above the back passengers head.

I can only assume that it's the wire for the dome light.

It's more apparent when the sunroof is closed and the cover is slid forward.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CJ00TA
Anyone have or had an issue with the roof ratting?

I have a rattle in the roof in what sounds like the area above the back passengers head.

I can only assume that it's the wire for the dome light.

It's more apparent when the sunroof is closed and the cover is slid forward.
Lately I've noticed a light rattle coming from that area when I go over a particulary bumpy stretch of highway where there's some construction going on. So far I've only heard it twice - both times over the same stretch. I'm hoping that if it gets worse, it'll happen while it's still under warranty.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
Well, the pipe foam worked for a few weeks, but I am noticing an increasing amount of rattles again. I guess I'm going to let the dealer take a stab at it. They claim that they have one guy who has done ALL the dash rattle repair jobs (TSB) and that he's had great success. Since my bumper-to-bumper warranty ends in under a month, now is my last chance.

Of course, I will post my experiences with this repair soon after it is complete.
Well, it took most of a day to complete. I picked it up the same evening and the first thing I noticed was an intermittent clicking/rustling noise coming from the center vent. This noise tended to get louder as I increased the fan speed. Then I found that the power adapter (a.k.a. cigarette lighter jack) closet to the center armrest had no power.

So back the car went a few days later. The tech apologized for failing to reconnect the power port. To my surprise, though, the rustling noise turned out to be a piece of "non-Toyota foam" that had fallen into the vent assembly while the dash was being taken apart for repair.

Yes, it was very much like the pipe-insulating foam I had tucked between the dash and windshield in my own attempt to quiet the noise. I'm not sure if that foam ever would have gotten into the vent assembly on its own--it had been inserted some time ago. (No, the dealer didn't ask me to pay for this, which was unexpected.)

Any way, so far the dash rattle has gone away. Though I still have occasional rattling from the center console and the rear deck. I'll say the rattles have been the only real disappointment with this car.

I just hope the dash rattle stays fixed. I'll post back if it does not.

Last edited by bmgoodman; 06-19-2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: clarify