Override for 6.1 version of the Nav system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Override for 6.1 version of the Nav system?

Originally Posted by rjg7872
I don't have the Nav Sysytem, however after doing some reading I came across two methods in starting the diagnostic mode.

Method 1
-Start the Engine
-While pressing and holding the "info" switch, opperate the light controll switch: OFF... Turn ON... Turn OFF... Turn ON...Turn OFF... Turn ON... Turn OFF.

Method 2
-Start the Engine
-From the dispaly quality adjustment screen, touch the following corners of the screen in the follwoing order: Upper left, Lower left, Upper left, Lower Left, Upper Left, Lower Left.

I'd love to know if either of these methods work.
Out of curiosity, where did this come from? Did you find it in relation to the 6.1 version of the Nav system?

The one involving the light control switch doesn't seem like it should be Nav-related (I would expect the sequence would only involve controls on the nav system). The second one sounds more realistic, but what is the "display quality adjustment" screen?

Old 09-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Enthusiast

I got it from the 2007 Toyota Camry Factory Repair Manual.

As for the "Display Quality Adjustment" screen, its under the "Display Check" screen.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:32 AM

I got it from the 2007 Toyota Camry Factory Repair Manual.

As for the "Display Quality Adjustment" screen, its under the "Display Check" screen.
I am willing to try this on my 5.1 Nav system, but I am still unclear as to where the Dispay Check menu is. Can you post where this is in the menu structure?

I am going to go look for it right now...

Old 09-24-2006, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast

DO THEY WORK?

I don't have the Nav Sysytem, however after doing some reading I came across two methods in starting the diagnostic mode.

Method 1
-Start the Engine
-While pressing and holding the "info" switch, opperate the light controll switch: OFF... Turn ON... Turn OFF... Turn ON...Turn OFF... Turn ON... Turn OFF.

Method 2
-Start the Engine
-From the dispaly quality adjustment screen, touch the following corners of the screen in the follwoing order: Upper left, Lower left, Upper left, Lower Left, Upper Left, Lower Left.

I'd love to know if either of these methods work.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:41 AM

I am wondering if those screens you mention are in a special service menu - not in the normal screens for the Nav system.

I just went to look for the ones you mentioned, and I can't find them. I suppose the 6.1 version might have a different menu structure, but this seems unlikely.

I would really like to see if this works for the 6.1 version, since my dealer is offering to let me buy it at their cost ($150). I will go for it if I can find a way to still use the override function. I use that too often to lose the functionality.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:36 PM
07 Camry Hybrid!

The diagnostic mode does NOT have an over ride function for the Nav or Phone as in the 5.1 version. There's a display check and a control check as would be appropriate for "diagnostics" functions.

There are some functions for adjusting the microphone gain that might be useful for some people.

It's not the over ride / tweek / hack for the Nav that I was hoping for.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:57 PM

Here's a crazy question...

Would it be possible for someone to take the 5.1 and 6.1 DVD's and "combine" them into one "hybrid" DVD?

In other words, could you take the map database from the 6.1 version, and the actual software from the 5.1 version, and burn your own? I know this isn't necessarily easy (since it probably isn't obvious which files are software and which ones are for the map database).

I am also curious - if you own both versions, could you swap them any time you wanted? So if I had to go somewhere that I might need the updated maps, I use 6.1, but for everyday driving (when I know where I am going), I could use the 5.1 version, and still have access to the OVERRIDE function?

Old 09-27-2006, 03:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

spiff72 - I was thinking the same thing. I would love to make sure we get updated maps but I never like it when a company "updates" it's software by removing features. I also wondered about your second point and if the swap back and fourth gets you the functionality of ver 05.1 back.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:47 AM
Enthusiast

I wouldn't expect that to happen. I have a Pioneer Avic-N1 and received new disks for it. When I placed the disk in the NAV system, the software updated. I can use the old disks but the software remains at the updated version.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:39 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by jhfarr73
... I never like it when a company "updates" it's software by removing features. ...
I don't either but in this case it's a 'undocumented feature" Toyota never intended the end user to use. That's why it's buried in the diagnostic panel. I (personally) think Toyota is bowing to the lawyers who forced it's removal for safety (aka. legal liability) reasons.
J

Quick Reply: Override for 6.1 version of the Nav system?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands