No voltage across terminals with service plug installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 04:47 PM
Professor Emeritus
Default No voltage across terminals with service plug installed

I have had the battery out of my car for about a month trying to breathe some more life into the modules. After much reading here and elsewhere about how hard the Camry's are on the batteries, I understand now that my endeavor was futile. However, I did manage to get them all back up to where I can at least use the car for a little while before replacement.

Anyway, fast forward to this afternoon. I got the battery back in the car and everything installed. When I install the service plug and snap it down (I know how to properly install it), I'm getting no voltage across the high voltage terminals? What situation/situations would cause this besides an overlooked nut or 2 on the bus bars? I thought I was methodical about torquing them all? I torqued all the bottom module nuts and terminal nuts to 48 in. lb.

I'm racking my brain trying to remember what I could have forgotten... I did remove the voltage sensor harness so I could ohm out the wires from each terminal to the plug, but I made sure that It was firmly plugged back into the sensor module when I was done.

Any help or opinions appreciated. I would like to get it going again as fast as possible while all the voltages are still close to equal. At this point, I plan to pull it out again in the morning, pull the cover off and have a look around for something I may have missed.

Edit: I did flip the pack over to tighten the bottom module bolts. Is there some kind of safety device that cuts voltage if the pack is inverted? Did not think about that until just now...

Last edited by litespeed; 09-06-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: No voltage across terminals with service plug installed

If you're talking about measuring voltage at the terminals where you attach the main leads from the car, you shouldn't have voltage there unless the car is on and in ready mode. The big black box houses relays to isolate the HV battery from the car when off.

There are two large orange cables terminating in plugs that connect the battery to the relay. You can probe the crimped metal inside those connectors (while they're still plugged into the relay) and get battery voltage when the safety plug is installed.

If you've tried to start the car, and you're receiving some kind of error, likely that you have an unplugged connector.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:25 AM
Professor Emeritus

Hey Keith. I have read some of your threads and reply's to threads. On behalf of myself and others here and on other forums, thank you for sharing your knowledge with us! And thank you so much for chiming in.

I took the pack back out of the car and measured both sides of the battery. 116 on the one side and 147 on the other. Re-checked torques and it was all fine. I then installed the service plug and did what you said. I probed the top of those 2 big orange wires going into the black box (contactor of some kind?) and got 265. With the service plug removed I got 0. So, I did not miss anything.

I never did try to start the car. I did not want to risk damaging anything without talking to someone with more knowledge on the subject.

So, you are saying with the car off, there should be no voltage at the other end of that black box?

I am going to go ahead and put the battery back in the car now. So, I should be safe to try and start the car, correct?

Old 09-07-2019, 08:23 AM
Professor Emeritus

Car fired right up with no warning lights and no issues at all. Went for a quick drive and everything was fine. I'll check the block voltages later today.

Thank you again!

Old 09-07-2019, 10:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

YOu work quick. I was on a long errand. Correct, there should be no voltage at the other end of that black box.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:12 AM
Professor Emeritus

Hey... No worries. Thanks again man! Been driving it all week and did a trip to the North part of the state. No issues. The SOC is stays much higher than before and it takes longer for it to start to drop off. Fuel economy is also up 3 to 4mpg.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:15 AM
Enthusiast

I've had some problems with voltages and inner communications in my car, when I was simply installing a new backup camera. When I've been looking a good replacement for my backup camera, I've search dozens of different car blogs and online markets, but first of all I needed to find the real reviews from existing users of backup cameras, who could definitely explain all the pros and cons of this or that camera model. Long story short a friend of mine told me to read review where author compared a lot of different models, and I've chosen the second from that top.