Moonroof Rattles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast
Default Moonroof Rattles?

Now that Spring is slowly making its appearance , has anyone been experiencing rattles from the moon roof? I have - only not when it's open, only closed, which doesn't help me a whole lot. I took it into the dealer yesterday to fix the console squeek, which they did, but to also fix the rattle, which they didn't. Curious to see if I'm the only one with this problem.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Moonroof Rattles?

I have not noticed a problem with mine yet and I have had it open and close numerous times. (Live in NY.)

Old 04-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Camry Freak

I haven't noticed any rattles with my moonroof... although that may be because I'm too focused on the rattles caused by my windshield...

Great car... spoiled only by some annoying rattles... errr...

Old 04-05-2007, 02:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had a rattle by the moonroof when it first started getting cool last fall. It went away on its own and I haven't had it since then. I thought it was related to the metal bar you can move a bit when you reach up into that area but I'm not sure.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It is odd that everyone seems to have rattles/squeaks and I haven't heard a darn thing yet. Maybe my hearing isn't as good. No moon roof, windshield, console, or back deck issues yet (about a week). I need to crank the base and listen to it when it gets warmer. I will also see what happens when I connect my sub.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Goallda
Now that Spring is slowly making its appearance , has anyone been experiencing rattles from the moon roof? I have - only not when it's open, only closed, which doesn't help me a whole lot. I took it into the dealer yesterday to fix the console squeek, which they did, but to also fix the rattle, which they didn't. Curious to see if I'm the only one with this problem.
Mike There was a TSB for moon roof rattles for the I4 and v6 listed on another forum TSB# NV006-06 but it was when the roof was in the open position. Don't know if it would help yours.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Goallda
Hmmm, I'm a bit late in seeing and replying to this one.

I've got an XLE, with a wee bit of creaking going on up in the moonroof area. If you open the interior cover, you can hear it creaking away, but closing the cover masks it to a very substantial extent.

That "was," until I finally found something that seemed to help quite a bit -- I added some "Sil-Glyde" lubricant to the frame rails. That seemed to quiet it down, essentially "completely."

You might open your roof all the way, wipe down any lubricant in there already, and then apply Sil-Glyde by applying it to a cloth first, and then rubbing down the rail with that cloth. You can find Sil-Glyde, supposedly, at NAPA and other auto parts stores.

BEWARE of anything even remotely resembling having your dealer work on your moonroof. To do virtually anything up there, they have to get to it from within the car. If you check out the Camry technical manual, "getting to it from within the car" is a simple manner of "removing your entire interior." Seats, interior panels, headliner, you name it. And if you think your dealer's "technicians" are going to put all that stuff back together in anything better than "the most haphazard and careless manner imagineable," I've got a hybrid Camry that'll get 1,000 MPG to sell you.

Avoid the dealer. Try the Sil-Glyde. And good luck!

Old 04-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info - I'll give it a try this weekend and let you know the results.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Dazed and Confused

Is that like astro glide?

I know astro glide sure makes things slide in and out a lot better.