Major, major Bluetooth improvement

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Major, major Bluetooth improvement

I have no experience with the 700wx since I now have a 700p but I have the option of "Beaming" or "Sending" phonebook entries. Beaming is for IR and Sending offers more options including Bluetooth so I just used that and transferred the whole directory is about 10 seconds.
J

Old 10-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
I have no experience with the 700wx since I now have a 700p but I have the option of "Beaming" or "Sending" phonebook entries. Beaming is for IR and Sending offers more options including Bluetooth so I just used that and transferred the whole directory is about 10 seconds.
J
I don't have a "send" option, only "beam." It's possible that with the windows version of the treo they've combined the beam and send feature. I will try to "beam" contacts again. It's also possible I screwed up the options between the car and the phone. It's probable that I have a severe case of wishful thinking. :-(

Old 10-25-2006, 03:26 PM
EAG
Enthusiast

I'm about ready to get a new phone on my Sprint $150 rebate every two years new phone deal.

I talked to a rep at the Sprint store who bashed the Katana. He pushed the Samsung. I am really interested in the 700wx for the mobile broadband. But, I want it to integrate well with my Camry.

Anyone using the 700wx, please update to this thread their experiences.

Also, the Sprint guy told me that in early Nov. they will be adding a line of Motorola phones.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by EAG
I'm about ready to get a new phone on my Sprint $150 rebate every two years new phone deal.

I talked to a rep at the Sprint store who bashed the Katana. He pushed the Samsung. I am really interested in the 700wx for the mobile broadband. But, I want it to integrate well with my Camry.

Also, the Sprint guy told me that in early Nov. they will be adding a line of Motorola phones.
If you live in an area that has Sprint EVDO - you don't need the Mobile Broadband.. EVDO rocks and the data transfer rate is fantastic...

I read about too many problems with the Win platform and decided to stick with Palm. No real regrets to date..

Old 10-26-2006, 08:25 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
If you live in an area that has Sprint EVDO - you don't need the Mobile Broadband.. EVDO rocks and the data transfer rate is fantastic...

I read about too many problems with the Win platform and decided to stick with Palm. No real regrets to date..
Rocks? If 200kpbs is what you consider "rocking" OK but that ain't broadband. Sorry.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EAG

I have the 700wx. I like the phone EXCEPT for the inability to send contacts via bluetooth (only beaming via infrared). The bluetooth in the TCH does not show battery or signal strength, but caller ID seems to be fine.

The integration with outlook calender and contacts is perfect. I'm logging into my popmail account directly rather than synchronize my outlook email, although the email integration was also perfect--I just didn't need to store email in 2 places. Those features work great out of the box. I've added a couple add-ons that I also like (SPB and PocketInformant).

So far, I'm mostly satisfied with the phone, with only some minor irritations re: the inability to send contacts via bluetooth.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Rocks? If 200kpbs is what you consider "rocking" OK but that ain't broadband. Sorry.
Since I'm not downloading music videos on my cell phone, it seems to work very fast - fast enough to support Sprint TV, OnDemand, Mapquest and any other website that I've needed to connect with. Much faster than the old cellular modem connection.

The other thing that I liked on the 700P vs. 700W was the resolution of the screen being higher.

Not that this thread is really to address the merits of one phone over another - I just wanted to tell it the way I saw it. So far, other than Caller ID and battery level - the 700P has worked near flawlessly in the TCH.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Since I'm not downloading music videos on my cell phone, it seems to work very fast - fast enough to support Sprint TV, OnDemand, Mapquest and any other website that I've needed to connect with. Much faster than the old cellular modem connection.

The other thing that I liked on the 700P vs. 700W was the resolution of the screen being higher.

Not that this thread is really to address the merits of one phone over another - I just wanted to tell it the way I saw it. So far, other than Caller ID and battery level - the 700P has worked near flawlessly in the TCH.
Yea, you don't miss what you never had. I have a 700p (Sprint) and it's Bluetooth implementation is sub 650 level. Why? It misses session establishments regularly, looses track of trusted partners, fails to transfer sound to the handsfree, doesn't support roaming indicator, battery level or signal strength.
That is just bad for a device with it's price tag.
I guess if you set your sights low enough anything is good but I think the 700p should do better in the Bluetooth arena. MUCH better.

Old 11-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
After seeing smidtj's post in the thread "Are you considering the NAV," I decided to see if the new Sanyo phone would allow me to transfer my phone directory... it DID!!! The piece-of-@#$% Samsung would NOT let me transfer the phone directory. Sheesh! Thanks, smidtj, it took all of about 30 seconds to transfer my entire contacts directory with nearly 300 numbers. There was also the new option to transfer contacts individually, rather than as a group. Interestingly, if your contact in your Bluetooth phone has more than two numbers assigned, the Camry NAV will create multiple name entries to capture all the phone numbers, two at a time.

Here's a hint for anyone who wants to transfer a directory:

BEFORE you do the transfer, in your NAV system, create your USER GROUPS. The "00" default group is "No group," and this one can't be changed. For "01," I called it "Personal," and for "02," I called it "Business." Yours could be different. Then, still before you do your data transfer, select your group that has the most names ("Personal," in my case) and then you can transfer your contacts DIRECTLY into that group. Otherwise, they will default to "No group," and you will have to change them all manually, if you use the group feature. Once I had all my contacts in the "Personal" group, it was a quick process to select the business entries and edit the group name to "Business."

One final hint:

In case you're as dense as I am, notice that although the NAV keyboard default is uppper-case for manual entry, there is a screen button on the right side to create lower-case letters, for much easier reading. There are also diacritical marks (such as accent marks) for your friends named José and María. If you can do a data transfer, your upper-and lower-case entries will transfer as originally entered.
Steve, thanks for your info re the Sanyo Katana! Based on your success getting it to work with your TCH, I got a Kanana instead of the Samsung. So far so good. I was able to transfer my phone directory using your instructions. I haven't made a lot of bluetooth calls yet, but the ones I've made have been clear for both the person on the other end of the line and for me.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Major, major Bluetooth improvement

Yay! You're welcome. Still loving my Katana, too!!!

Quick Reply: Major, major Bluetooth improvement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands