Major, major Bluetooth improvement

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 07:31 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Major, major Bluetooth improvement

Different phone manufacturers choose to support Bluetooth to various different degrees.
Your disconnecting for no apparent reason is NOT normal.
Is your phone set to answer the call on the phone even when it's connected to the handsfree device (your car)?
It should be set to divert the call to the handsfree device when it's connected to the car via BT. My phone has this as a configuration option maybe yours does too.
Also how long it takes for the phone to detect the lost BT connection when you exit the car is also device dependent. Mine takes about 10 seconds.
J

Old 09-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Major, major Bluetooth improvement

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
The best bluetooth phones I've ever used have been from Sony-Ericsson. My current model, the z520, supports the following profiles: serial port, dial-up, OBEX, FTP, Sync (w/ Outlook), and HID (yes, you can actually use this phone as a mouse too!) I can also print pictures taken with my phone directly to my HP Photosmart printer (since it has a bluetooth dongle attached). Anytime I have too many photos in the phone, I can use my computer's FTP view and delete or transfer pictures using the Windows interface instead of having to use the phone's screene. It's REALLY handy. The battery life is pretty good too -- much better than Motorola, and about equal with Nokia.

As far as reception goes, that's hard to tell. Since Cingular basically sucks, I don't know of any phone they sell that doesn't drop calls like a drunken juggler drops *****. (Don't get me started on Cingular: High price, bad customer service, phone spectrum is divided between 850MHZ and 1900MHZ but the phones can't make the jump in frequency, so they just drop calls; way too much multimedia crammed into a very shallow spectrum so it doesn't leave enough tower space for actual PHONE CALLS!!!!)
I have Cingular for 3 years in San Diego and find it is excellent. Cheapest plan; $30 for 1,400 minutes/month. Excellent reception across the US and northern Mexico with no roaming charges. I have a Motorola V551j, don't use all the features except for the calender and bluetooth, it connected to TOH very easy. No dropped calls! Even does call waiting in the TOH. I had Sprint and Verison and after I moved 1 mile I got dropped calls and bad reception and found that ATT was the only one that worked at my new home. When Cingular took them over 2 years ago I got a the above phone and this great plan. I've used the phone in New York City, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Dallas and Florida with great reception, much better than when I had Sprint. I do cut off my own calls by hitting the voice dial button on the phone by accident, once and while, but that's my fault.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:28 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

The V551 is an excellent phone. It uses the same chipset as the (cheapened) RAZORs.
Unfortunately the phonebook transfer is limited to one entry at a time. I have two V551s as spares. You gotta luv GSM and the ability to swap SIMM cards.
J

Old 09-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Enthusiast

I have Cingular, and I have a razr - I had a Motorolla V551 up until a week ago. I had the same problems with that phone. Please bear with me - I'm not very cell phone savvy. I think it's configured to divert to the car. When a call comes in, I can hear the phone ring in my purse, but the car shows the incoming call too. I once tried to answer the phone itself since it was in my hand - but it was through the car's bluetooth that I was able to hear the call. How do I get it to change how long it takes to disconnect from bluetooth?

Old 09-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by bethwisdom
I have Cingular, and I have a razr - I had a Motorolla V551 up until a week ago. I had the same problems with that phone. Please bear with me - I'm not very cell phone savvy. I think it's configured to divert to the car. When a call comes in, I can hear the phone ring in my purse, but the car shows the incoming call too. I once tried to answer the phone itself since it was in my hand - but it was through the car's bluetooth that I was able to hear the call. How do I get it to change how long it takes to disconnect from bluetooth?
I don't think setting that value is externalized. I am sure there is a firmware hack to do it but that's not something a typical user would want to do.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Major, major Bluetooth improvement

Firmware hack? Is that legal??? (Referring to your concern for legalities on the DVD 5.1 vs. 6.1 post.)

Old 09-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
Firmware hack? Is that legal??? (Referring to your concern for legalities on the DVD 5.1 vs. 6.1 post.)
Actually it is legal. I would never knowingly suggest something that was illegal. Motorola phones have many feature adjustments that are not externalized but there is a published api for making the changes via software. You are not really "hacking" as much as making adjustments to less well known settings. Hope that sets your mind at ease.

J

Old 09-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Major, major Bluetooth improvement

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro

AWESOME!

Old 09-30-2006, 04:01 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by bethwisdom
How do I get it to change how long it takes to disconnect from bluetooth?
I got to thinking on this again. If missing a call is important you could always manually turn off Bluetooth at the phone immediately before shutting off the car. Once the car is off then toggle BT on again for the nex time. Manually turning off BT should minimize or eliminate the disconnect delay. You can set up a shortcut in the phone to make it an easy process.
J

Old 10-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wallpad
Anybody use a smart phone, one that runs Windows Mobile OS?

I just got a Treo 700wx. I cannot figure out how to transfer contacts via bluetooth to the car. My battery and signal strength indicators do not seem to be working, but caller id works. Should I be able to see call waiting caller ID? I suppose that would be too much to ask.

If anyone has any tips for transfering contacts, I would love the help. Do I "beam" them? I have had no luck so far.

Quick Reply: Major, major Bluetooth improvement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands