Listening to CD's...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Listening to CD's...

I have a quick question...

Since I bought my TCH I haven't listened to any CD's. I have an iPod with everything I own on it so there has been no need. Anyway, I got around to finally putting a CD in to see what displays on the Nav screen. I was under the assumption that artist and track information would be displayed...to my surprise nothing was displayed. These are original CD's. I even tried sticking in a copy of a CD that shows artist and track information when I put it in my computer and still no luck.

Is this normal? Or is there a way to make it display artist and track info?

Old 03-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Listening to CD's...

I thought that regular store-bought CD's didn't store that information. If you're ripping one of them, generally the ripping software has a remote CD info database that takes some kind of code on the CD, and looks up the info in the database.

That's my limited knowledge of CDs.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the information. I actually looked in iTunes and found how I could include the artist and track information...the option wasn't checked. So I checked that option and burned a copy of a CD and stuck it in the car. Presto, it worked.

I don't understand why that information wouldn't display when you stick a store bought CD in the car.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:03 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by tnsig
Thanks for the information. I actually looked in iTunes and found how I could include the artist and track information...the option wasn't checked. So I checked that option and burned a copy of a CD and stuck it in the car. Presto, it worked.

I don't understand why that information wouldn't display when you stick a store bought CD in the car.
Only some store bought CDs show text. CD Text is not a norm. I think most Sony music CDs have text.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
Only some store bought CDs show text. CD Text is not a norm. I think most Sony music CDs have text.

And that completely dumbfounds me...you would think with the technology today that record companies would include that information to be displayed. Oh well...I guess if I want to listen to a CD in my car and I want the artist/track information to be displayed I'll have to burn a copy for the car

Old 03-18-2007, 02:52 PM

As a bonus, in addition to playing MP3/WMA CDs, you can use CD-RW, so you can make your own mix CDs and re-record them as often as you want.