Installing a spoiler on TCH

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Installing a spoiler on TCH

I have ordered a spoiler for our new TCH. I will be installing it myself, any tips? What is the best way to remove the clips holding the truck lid liner without breaking them?

Old 03-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Installing a spoiler on TCH

I'm assuming you bought the OEM spoiler. If so, then here are a few hints that I learned from my installation (which was posted here: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...rear-end-9741/ ):

1) To remove the clips, use two flat-head screwdrivers and insert one from either side of the clip, then just pry upwards and they will pop out very easily.

2) You probably do not need to drill the two large access holes in the bottom of the trunk lid as the instructions suggest. The instructions assume that you have a 1-piece tool that needs to access the two mounting bolts. But using my rachet set, I was able to feed the bit thru one of the the larger existing holes, then stick the ratchet handle thru the existing smaller hole, and put together the ratchet "on the other side". This description sounds weird, but once you see what you need to do, then it will make sense.

3) As with any work, measure twice and cut/drill once!

4) Drill slowly. Due to the rounded shape of the trunk lid, the drill bit might walk (which it did on me) and you end up with a scratch. I punched using the template, then removed the template and drilled a small starter hole at each location, then drilled the final hole.

5) Make sure to coat the drilled hole with rustproof paint so it doesn't rust.

This project took me about 3hrs but only because I didn't have the correct size drill bits and had to make a visit to the local hardware store. You should be able to complete this within 2hrs if you have the right tools.

Good luck!

Last edited by flopshot; 03-14-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:06 PM

Thanks flopshot for the spoiler info. Yes, it's the OEM spoiler. If you remember, what size bits will I need. I have up to 3/8. I also have some multi-bits. what kind of rust proof paint did you use?

Thanks again, lots of good info on this site.

Like the photos of your car, thinking of adding fogs to mine also. Seems like a lot of different ideas about adding them.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I don't recall using anything larger than 3/8" for the holes that you need to drill on the exterior. For the access holes that I say you DON'T need to drill, they recommended a 1/2" or 5/8" circular drill bit.

To rust-proof the holes, use any rustproof paint. The color doesn't matter since you will be covering the holes anyway with the spoiler, and if you ever remove the spoiler, you have lots of body repair that will require repainting anyway. I had a can of black Rustoleum paint so I just used that.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:36 PM

Thanks again for the info. Waiting on the spoiler to arrive so I can install it. We live in the country so I'm trying to gather everything I need before it arrives. It's twenty miles for me to get to a hardware store. I figured you used Rust-o-leum, but I thought I'd ask. I will sharpen my bits before I start drilling. I have painted mud flaps coming also. Wanted to add a sport body kit, but don't have the $. Maybe later.