Increased Whine from Hybrid Synergy Drive System

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Increased Whine from Hybrid Synergy Drive System

Originally Posted by childers
I'm not convinced they add any safety. Burning the lights all of the time just bugs me. I have noticed that most other Camry's and other cars on the road don't have them on either.
From IIHS (http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/drl.html)
4. How effective are DRLs?
Nearly all published reports indicate DRLs reduce multiple-vehicle daytime crashes. Evidence about DRL effects on crashes comes from studies conducted in Scandinavia, Canada, and the United States. A study examining the effect of Norway's DRL law from 1980 to 1990 found a 10 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes.1 A Danish study reported a 7 percent reduction in DRL-relevant crashes in the first 15 months after DRL use was required and a 37 percent decline in left-turn crashes.2 In a second study covering 2 years and 9 months of Denmark's law, there was a 6 percent reduction in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes and a 34 percent reduction in left-turn crashes.3 A 1994 Transport Canada study comparing 1990 model year vehicles with DRLs to 1989 vehicles without them found that DRLs reduced relevant daytime multiple-vehicle crashes by 11 percent.4 In the United States, a 1985 Institute study determined that commercial fleet passenger vehicles modified to operate with DRLs were involved in 7 percent fewer daytime multiple-vehicle crashes than similar vehicles without DRLs.5 A small-scale fleet study conducted in the 1960s found an 18 percent lower daytime multiple-vehicle crash rate for DRL-equipped vehicles.6 Multiple-vehicle daytime crashes account for about half of all police-reported crashes in the United States. A 2002 Institute study reported a 3 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crash risk in nine US states concurrent with the introduction of DRLs.7 Federal researchers, using data collected nationwide, concluded that there was a 5 percent decline in daytime, two-vehicle, opposite-direction crashes and a 12 percent decline in fatal crashes with pedestrians and bicyclists.8

Sure, there are some people who are against DRLs, but I found their data to be much more suspect than the data of the pro-DRL group.

I do wish the TCH would turn on the headlights automatically with the windshield wipers as is required by law in many states. So often I see people in a heavy rain without their lights--usually they can barely be seen.

I'm a big believer in helping others see my car on the road.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast

The initial study is correct with reduction of accident rate. But they didn't study after the DRL was standard equipment a few year later. The novelty wears off and no body really notice about the DRL anymore. Then effectiveness is no longer maintained just like the third high mounted stop light.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Old Boomer Techie

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
... I am not sure how loud it is to other people just walking by. But I have seen some people look.

(I have very good hearing -- although my girlfriend would disagree.)
There now, ya see...Conclusive proof that we don't need a noise maker for blind people on the TCH!

Old 05-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Pragmatist

"Quiet" is a relative term.

When I got my first real apartment, I had been used to living in a dorm. For the first few months, that apartment was extremely quiet. At first, I couldn't hear anything. Gradually, over time, I started hearing the neighbors.

When I got my first house, I had been used to living in the apartment. For the first few months, the house was extremely quiet. At first, I couldn't hear anything. Gradually, over time, I started hearing the neighbors.

When I got my first new car, I had been used to driving an old truck with a bad muffler. For the first few months, the car was extremely quiet. At first, I couldn't hear anything. Gradually, over time, I started hearing the machinery.

When I got my first hybrid car, I had been used to driving a gasoline car. For the first few months, the hybrid car was extremely quiet. At first, I couldn't hear anything. Gradually, over time, I started hearing the machinery.

I doubt that the apartment, the house, and the two cars all became louder during the first few months that I owned them. I believe I just became accustomed to the sound levels, and more attuned to the sounds that were present in each place.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteveHansen

When I got my first real apartment, I had been used to living in a dorm. For the first few months, that apartment was extremely quiet. At first, I couldn't hear anything. Gradually, over time, I started hearing the neighbors.

When I got my first house, I had been used to living in the apartment. For the first few months, the house was extremely quiet. At first, I couldn't hear anything. Gradually, over time, I started hearing the neighbors.

When I got my first new car, I had been used to driving an old truck with a bad muffler. For the first few months, the car was extremely quiet. At first, I couldn't hear anything. Gradually, over time, I started hearing the machinery.

When I got my first hybrid car, I had been used to driving a gasoline car. For the first few months, the hybrid car was extremely quiet. At first, I couldn't hear anything. Gradually, over time, I started hearing the machinery.

I doubt that the apartment, the house, and the two cars all became louder during the first few months that I owned them. I believe I just became accustomed to the sound levels, and more attuned to the sounds that were present in each place.
Steve, well put, excellent observation! I concur.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I hear it when my wife is getting home and she's a few houses down the street. No biggie IMO. I've driven this car HARD (triple digits) and I doubt that caused the noise. I do agree that it's become more noticeable after 32K miles, but it doesn't sound bad enough to worry me. I'm more concerned about my rear brakes squeaking every morning when leaving the house. I'll ask my dealer about the TSB for the brakes when it's in for the next oil change.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:48 AM
Enthusiast

I have heard this "jet engine" noise on my car from day one under light throttle. I love it. It reminds me that I am driving something very special. My favorite sound is the re-gen whine while braking. Lots of unusual sounds coming from this car all the time. For instance, in the garage after about a minute. When opening the drivers door after it has been sitting for a while, etc. Adds to the experience in my book.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:36 PM
Enthusiast

[quote=cmartinez95;174445]I hear it when my wife is getting home and she's a few houses down the street.

Your wife lives in a different house but on the same street?

Old 06-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteveHansen

ditto - Similar experience getting rid of a Jeep Wrangler for an 06 V6 Camry - I thought I was in a mausoleum at first compared to the Jeep. Then, I thought my TCH was even quieter than the V6 I traded for it. After three weeks though, I am getting acclimated to it and am beginning to notice more of the sounds I overlooked at first - still quieter though.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

[quote=mfsandli;174547]
Originally Posted by cmartinez95
I hear it when my wife is getting home and she's a few houses down the street.

Your wife lives in a different house but on the same street?

LOL, No What I meant was that I can hear her approaching our house when she's a few houses away on our street. The other day I was outside walking with our 3 1/2 yr old daughter and without turning around I could tell she was getting home.