Increased Whine from Hybrid Synergy Drive System

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Increased Whine from Hybrid Synergy Drive System

A few months ago I (foolishly) did some high speed driving on an Interstate highway. 40 or 50 miles at 90+ MPH. Ever since then I have noticed an increased whinning sound coming from under the hood. The whine is heard when the car is mixing power from the engine and battery. I wonder if the high speed driving could have damaged the HSD system? Has anyone else experienced this? I really dread taking this into the shop and have them try to fix it. I just don't know how much experience they have with HSD.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Increased Whine from Hybrid Synergy Drive System

Originally Posted by childers
A few months ago I (foolishly) did some high speed driving on an Interstate highway. 40 or 50 miles at 90+ MPH. Ever since then I have noticed an increased whinning sound coming from under the hood. The whine is heard when the car is mixing power from the engine and battery. I wonder if the high speed driving could have damaged the HSD system? Has anyone else experienced this? I really dread taking this into the shop and have them try to fix it. I just don't know how much experience they have with HSD.
So you hear the whine any time the ICE is running?

Old 04-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think it's just your mind playing tricks on you and you are looking for something to be wrong when really, everything is just fine. It's a Toyota, not a honduh.

Honestly.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

It is possible he is not imagining things...

When I pull into my garage in EV mode I can definitely hear the inverter whine. While the whine is normal, I do think it has gotten louder since I have bought the car.

I wouldn't attribute it to high speed driving though. Is this a high pitched whine? Almost on the the upper edge of hearing?

Old 04-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I agree. I hear it as well but when I am slowing down (regen breaking). It didn't do this until after a few long trips. You can't hear it when the windows are up. Only when the windows are down but I do miss the absolute quietness of the car.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've noticed recently that mine is a bit more audible as well.

My girlfriend and I refer to it as 'the jet noise'. It seems to happen for me while foot is off the throttle or at times when lightly pressing the accelerator.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have to say mine is more audible than when new. I have 8500 miles now. I'll add that occasionally, the whine seems to go away almost completely (excluding things like braking) for several days. Then it comes back. I have wondered if this is the equivalent of a brake pad sticking a bit?

It isn't something I'm worried about, but I have noticed it.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Enthusiast

It sounds like I am not the only one. I don't think it is my imagination although attributing it to the high speed driving might be a mistake. It seems as though it has to do with wear.

It is a high pitched whine. Eskimonio describes it well when he refers to it as the "jet noise". Eskimonio is also correct that it happens when LIGHTLY pressing the accelerator. It also happens during regen as mikieboyblue describes.

It has definately gotten louder than when it was new. I am guessing I have no chance of explaining this to a Toyota tech. I would probably end up with more trouble than when I started.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by childers
Is this the sound the special glass ($1000) windshield is suppose to suppress? Do you hear it with the windows rolled up and sunroof closed?
Can't say I hear ANY whine from mine even with the windows down.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Is this the sound the special glass ($1000) windshield is suppose to suppress? Do you hear it with the windows rolled up and sunroof closed?
Can't say I hear ANY whine from mine even with the windows down.
I do not hear it during acceleration when the windows are rolled up.

I do hear it during regen breaking when the windows are rolled up (although much less noticeable). This sound was there the day I bought it.

I do hear it during both acceleration and regen breaking when the windows are rolled down.

I am not sure how loud it is to other people just walking by. But I have seen some people look.

(I have very good hearing -- although my girlfriend would disagree.)

Quick Reply: Increased Whine from Hybrid Synergy Drive System

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands