An Idiot @ WomanMotorist.com

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: An Idiot @ WomanMotorist.com

I'm not sure the recent comments are directed in part at me or not, but for my part if anything I've posted is snippy, I apologise to Livvie and others... that really wasn't my intent, though reading through it definitely came off that way. I tend to respond in kind, and it seemed like some of the comments were intended to rankle folks, and yeah, I took the bait.

Doesn't matter to me what vehicle a person drives. My only reason for posting was to refute some statements I patently disagree with, and like most online discourse I didn't expect to sway someone with equally strongly held opinions to the contrary. No sweat off my back... though I do prefer facts to vague recollections posted as facts.

{contrarian}
As to whether we're all friends or not, that remains to be seen. Would a full football stadium of people be considered friends simply by virtue of sharing the same place and moment in time?
{/contrarian}

Old 10-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Dear Shannon,

I think that we are all on this forum for the same reason that people fill a football stadium. They do not simply share the same region of space at the same time...they are drawn there by a common interest. Just like two fans of the same team, who wear the same team jersey, would instinctively treat each other with a certain amount of familiar respect when they meet at the stadium, I think we all owe each other a modicum of respect. We are here because we all think hybrids are...well...something out of the ordinary. I include Livvie in this category.

Did you ever wonder why Livvie, who seems so negative about hybrids in their current incarnation, has posted several hundred times? There's got to be something that motivates Livvie other than just taking other hybrid owners down a notch. I suspect that it is a profound disappointment that hybrid technology did not give Livvie the solution he/she sought. He/she wanted more (what's wrong with that?) but did not get it. How's THAT for curbstone psychology!

FWIW, I think your approach to the issues is pretty sound and sensible. I find most of the people who post to this forum to be well-meaning and desirous of helping others with their experience of hybrid technology. IMHO, Livvie doesn't come across that way, and I generally do not agree with him/her (I HATE using this lame form of article!!!!) But life is too short to pick fights on the Internet. OK, I'm not Livvie's "friend," or yours (in the sense that we won't be exchanging recipes and favorite family photos), but I try to keep an open mind.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:11 PM
WVGasGuy

There's got to be something that motivates Livvie other than just taking other hybrid owners down a notch. I suspect that it is a profound disappointment that hybrid technology did not give Livvie the solution he/she sought.

Seriously? (it's hard to tell when someone is just giving out PC BS or serious)

I made a smart#$ comment expected to draw a discussion. Personally I see no reason, if this is indeed a forum to "help and advise" , for a non-TCH owner to come in and constantly try to irritate the TCH'ers. Sure everyone is entitled to an opinion, but this is actually a TCH forum and if you come in and just bash the hybrid then I consider it offensive behavour.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Dear WVGasGuy,

You don't know me, so let me be clear....I am never not serious. If you think I'm dispensing "PC BS," let me know. I'll be happy to discuss.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Pete4
But you can't so it's not like you are saving the world, your contribution is minor, to the point that it can be dismissed.
End of quote
Sorry, but I can't ressit, this is one wrong way of looking at it. That's exactly what every one of 500 million drivers probably thinks, all over the world. The problem is that they all think and act the same. Now imagine if they all thought they can make a difference one at the time and then multiply that by a half a billion or so. Somebody, somewhere has to make that first step so the rest of sheep can follow, don't you think so?
Ah... unless you change your entire way of thinking, it's not possible. Driving a hybrid alone will not fix the problem at hand. We consume too much energy apart from just driving. Period. So yeah, it's not worth mentioning. Anyway, that's another thread.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by GeekGal
The numbers I quoted come from the Fed. Gov'ts own fueleconomy.gov website. I look up data before I post it.

I didn't buy my hybrid to impress others, but you can wait for someone to do so. You quote pollution stats but then backpedal and say it really doesn't matter unless we can pump the exhaust direct into the cabin. Well, that's not possible with current technology, except for a bicycle (and you wouldn't want to inhale directly from the "exhaust pipe" of a cyclist, either... we humans emit gases, too, after all.)

Sounds strikingly like a smugness of another sort, no? Greenwashing in the reverse. The "anyone saying/doing something, if they aren't single-handedly saving the world, should just shut up and do nothing." Yes, that's one option. Sounds awfully negative and short-sighted, but it's an option...

We all want higher fuel economy, cleaner vehicles. Just because they aren't capable of taking us to Jupiter on two drops of gasoline doesn't mean they're trash... except in retrospect, like comparing a 386SX to a modern day computer processor, found in anything from a cellular telephone to a PDA or web server.

One hazard of modern times is always looking to the future for solutions, at the expense of embracing current and emerging solutions that are viable for the near future. It's the reason some people still have ancient computers in their homes, because they know even if they buy tomorrow the technology will have advanced before they pay off the new computer's balance on their credit card. Why bother upgrading, when you're always a step behind? Sometimes, the answer is why not? Incremental improvements are still improvements.
The number I got was from Honda. I guess I could assume the government figures are correct because the government is never wrong.

Who is talking about going to jupiter in 2 drops of gas? I want 100-120 mpg for a civic size car. Let's keep the numbers realistic. A Ford Escape compared to a Honda CRV as far as FE is concerned is not that impressive. Show me otherwise.

I don't recall quoting pollution stats as a buying issue. I was pointing out that other vehicles are just as "clean".

Old 10-05-2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by wcmack
YO! WOAH! We're all friends here, right? Livvie has strongly held views, that's clear. But any chance we have of effective discourse is dead if we don't stick to the issues and the facts.

Look, I don't agree with Livvie's view that current hybrid technology is "unimpressive" and "a gimmick." If I thought that, why would I be posting to this forum?

But Livvie has the right to post his/her views as long as he/she keeps it on the issues. Livvie has not attacked me personally, nor anyone else that I know of. He/she (OK, I'm tired of extra keystrokes to be PC...any chance you'll let us know your gender, Livvie?) deserves the same respect.

My $0.02...
This is my wife's account.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by livvie
The number I got was from Honda. I guess I could assume the government figures are correct because the government is never wrong.
You are a real hoot, livvie (and I mean that in the kindest way possible.) The government makes the figures. Honda wants to sell the car. You decide who's "more right". The topic of relevance of EPA mileage data is definitely "another topic", btw, and we can bounce that one around for awhile in another thread if that's a sore spot (like it is with most of us.)

Who is talking about going to jupiter in 2 drops of gas? I want 100-120 mpg for a civic size car. Let's keep the numbers realistic. A Ford Escape compared to a Honda CRV as far as FE is concerned is not that impressive. Show me otherwise.
Uhm, the original reason this thread was posted mentioned that exact quote. Strayed a bit from topic, we did... but as with most discussions, somehow it gets whipped around back to the beginning, even if anadvertantly, at some point.

I've already shown you. I can't and wouldn't force you, which is what you seem to be waiting for.

I don't recall quoting pollution stats as a buying issue. I was pointing out that other vehicles are just as "clean".
And others including myself have pointed out that is just not accurate. But "clean" is moot since in your own words a clean vehicle is only clean if one can pump the exhaust into the cabin.

I dislike repeating myself so I'm done with this thread. You seem to be in skip...skip...skip... er, repeat mode as well. This thread's pretty much roadkill, imho. We're all just standing around with hands in pockets wondering what in the world the person across from us is thinking. I'm sure there are other things we could talk about that are more interesting and more productive. Or not.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by wcmack
Dear Shannon,

I think that we are all on this forum for the same reason that people fill a football stadium. They do not simply share the same region of space at the same time...they are drawn there by a common interest. Just like two fans of the same team, who wear the same team jersey, would instinctively treat each other with a certain amount of familiar respect when they meet at the stadium, I think we all owe each other a modicum of respect. We are here because we all think hybrids are...well...something out of the ordinary. I include Livvie in this category.
Thanks... and I don't take anything personal on forums.

Did you ever wonder why Livvie, who seems so negative about hybrids in their current incarnation, has posted several hundred times? There's got to be something that motivates Livvie other than just taking other hybrid owners down a notch. I suspect that it is a profound disappointment that hybrid technology did not give Livvie the solution he/she sought. He/she wanted more (what's wrong with that?) but did not get it. How's THAT for curbstone psychology!
I don't want to come across negative, I'm just not impressed with the direction. I own a HCH I probably before most folks on this forum. As for being disappointed with my HCH? Not likely at all. It's a good car, especially comparing it to other cars at that period (bought it in April 2002). It was a clear winner. But now the problem is, other cars are doing great and the hybrid is sort of resting on it's laurels to some degree. Hence why I will most likely not buy another hybrid.

FWIW, I think your approach to the issues is pretty sound and sensible. I find most of the people who post to this forum to be well-meaning and desirous of helping others with their experience of hybrid technology. IMHO, Livvie doesn't come across that way, and I generally do not agree with him/her (I HATE using this lame form of article!!!!) But life is too short to pick fights on the Internet. OK, I'm not Livvie's "friend," or yours (in the sense that we won't be exchanging recipes and favorite family photos), but I try to keep an open mind.
Same here... and yes I am a him... using the wifey's account.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
There's got to be something that motivates Livvie other than just taking other hybrid owners down a notch. I suspect that it is a profound disappointment that hybrid technology did not give Livvie the solution he/she sought.

Seriously? (it's hard to tell when someone is just giving out PC BS or serious)

I made a smart#$ comment expected to draw a discussion. Personally I see no reason, if this is indeed a forum to "help and advise" , for a non-TCH owner to come in and constantly try to irritate the TCH'ers. Sure everyone is entitled to an opinion, but this is actually a TCH forum and if you come in and just bash the hybrid then I consider it offensive behavour.
Chill dude, you will live longer. I am not bashing hybrids. I OWN a HCH. And my comments are not directed towards the TCH, they are directed to ALL hybrids. It just happens that this thread is in the TCH forum... I suggest you ask the admins to move it to the general forums if you are taking offense.

Quick Reply: An Idiot @ WomanMotorist.com

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands