An Idiot @ WomanMotorist.com

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 09:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: An Idiot @ WomanMotorist.com

Originally Posted by skywagon
Ya, Now they tell us after we all spend the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!
I knew that fact, but determined that it was providing a 3.1 fold improvement. So I'm happy.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

wcmack,

Thanks for a well thought out and written reply. It reflects the way I feel about this too.
I think most of us can agree that the article in question was poorly written and based on someone's opinion more than fact.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Well put Bill Mack!

BTW - your car was either an Oldsmobile 442 or a Buick 225...

Being in my early 50's (53 to be precise) I grew up in the hay-days of Muscle cars and cheap gas. I still own muscle cars but more for their investment potential than to burn rubber away from the stoplight.

Did I buy a gimick? No.

What I did do is make an investment in technology.
That investment will cause profit in the automaker's vault.
That profit will drive continued research and development of hybrid / alternative fuel technologies.
The resultant technology will be offered to me - my children - my grand-children (none yet thanks) and so on...

So the key driver in the purchase of this vehicle was not Ecology - it wasn't Economy or even Financially motivated.
The key driver was doing what I believe is the right thing - Investing in the future of the world..

Old 09-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Dear Big,

Quite correct, it was an Olds 442. I must be getting what-his-name's disease...you know, that long name....uh....

Old 09-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by wcmack
Schmidtj, care to share some background on your comment about this known fact, so that I too can know it (intellectually, not Biblically...). Thanks!
...It was presented to me at an IBM presentation when they used foils (remember those?). ...
Actually in a rather nonchalaunt manner like "everyone knows this". They used examples of CD-R replacing magnetic tape, HD replacing SD/ED, solid state devices replacing older technology yada yada yada. As far as I know this "well known" rule does not have a name like "Moores Law" does. That would be too easy to Google.
J

Old 09-28-2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by H2O Doctor
The hybrid is far from a gimic. While all of us would love to see PHEV at a reasonable price, it will take a while, as will hybrids with inexpensive Lithium batteries. In the meantime, as early adopters of the technology, we can help with our comments to the auto industry in improving and refineing what is available today.

We also can be happy that we are using less oil and reducing pollution.

With the tax credit we can even save money.

No, hybrids are not gimmics when purchased from Toyota or Honda, even as diesel vehicles are not gimmics.
Less... yes... but I want an order of magnitude less. As for pollution, hybrids are not the cleanest burning car out there... so not impressed.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
But the truth is that unless a hybrid can beat the equivalent non-hybrid car by a factor of 3 or more, it's not that impressive.

The "truth"? Why the factor of 3? What's the significance of that and what's wrong with a factor of say 50% (or 1 1/2)?
Because 3 times is better than twice and twice is not good enough... especially since 40+ mpg existed in the late 80s if not earlier.

I had a 1984 CRX HF that could get 40+mpg without trying. No excuse for us to not be able to do better... and 50mpg is not impressive at all.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Dear Schmidtj,

Interesting. I personally have never heard that used as a rule of thumb for widespread public acceptance. Thanks for filling that in a little. It causes me to sit and think, which is better than just sitting!

Old 09-28-2006, 01:43 PM
WVGasGuy

Sounds like you need to ride a horse. Then again they still eat as much as they did in the 80's.

I wouldn't consider traveling with my family in a CRX sized car. There may have been 40mpg cars in the 80's. Unfortunately the ones I drove got 13 mpg.

Last edited by WVGasGuy; 09-28-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Dear livvie,

Although you don't need me to, I like your "we can do better" attitude. What I'm wondering is, how can we help each other to get where you want to go?

Here I thought I was doing a personal good thing, trading in a gas-guzzler for a car with significantly higher MPG and significantly lower emissions. OK, so you're not impressed with the eco-performance of the new car I just got. I didn't buy the Camry Hybrid because I thought it was unimpressive... I thought it was gee-whiz hot stuff tech-wise. But I could be wrong. My college philosophy mentor used to tell me "strive to make your mistakes clearly [so that you can be corrected and learn from them]." I'm cool with that. Where did I go wrong?

If there is something out there that will give me, say, 100+ MPG with only 10% of the current average air emissions of the best cars now on the road, name it and I'll take a serious look at it.

Oh, it needs to seat at least 3 people...me, my wife and mother-in-law (no jokes, please). And it needs to have weather protection, a comfortable ride and easy in and out...my wife's mother has Parkinson's. Also, it needs to be at least a little roomy...I am 6'1" and still growing (not vertically, to my shame) and, as a lawyer, I often chauffeur clients around. Solar probably won't work, since I live in the northeast where insolation rates are not optimal. I need something with good crash protection. I have to be able to run for several hundred miles in a trip, so it has to be capable of interstate speeds, and refueling/recharging has to be publicly and conveniently available. And I would want something that can be serviced conveniently and carries a pretty long warranty, since whatever technology is involved will be cutting- (read bleeding-) edge.

See, given all these goals (none of which have to do with super-high MPG or super-low emissions), I thought I did pretty well in choosing the TCH. But I can learn. Whip me into shape. MAKE ME DO BETTER!

Quick Reply: An Idiot @ WomanMotorist.com

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands