Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: An Idiot @ WomanMotorist.com

I posted a comment on the page too.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Enthusiast

This is why I can't usually stand to read a review unless it's written by people that understand cars (Car & Driver, Consumer Reports, Road & Track, etc). These companies give opinions and observations based on multiple user's test drives, car knowledge, understanding of mechanics (most are engineers of some type), and many other criteria. They still aren't perfect, but they do a good job.

People who write articles like this one show they can't get passed an initial opinion (The writer brought up 3 references to ridiculous concepts like getting to Jupiter on a drop of gas) there's not that much energy in gas in the first place! This goes to show they were more concerned about discrediting than writing an impartial article.

They have to get paid, and the lazy person spews a bunch of BS to make their article sound good. Kind of reminds me of writing essays and book reports back in elementary school, (any similarities?).

The person didn't even mention the tax credit till the end, and didn't say how much ("You also might qualify for a tax rebate after you buy it."). The 2600 (which most people will qualify for if bought before 9/30) would still save you $600 compared to the writer's idea of buying 2k in gas.

Oh and where is everyone supposed to store their 800 gallons of gas at $2.50 per gal, because it's not going to remain at the same price for a whole year.

I don't think people would have such a problem with rubbish like this, if there weren't such a potential of others believing it at first glance.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

So, you all get sooo upset by a "review" for WomanMotorist created by some...GUY?? It's like you expect to learn anything reading "100 Ways To Please Your Boyfriend" written by a lady... wrong people writting for wrong venues...

going over this completely non-informative piece i got two things: 1) actually, the guy liked the car; and 2) the guy hates ALL hybrids, not only the TCH, his mind set a log time ago, and, consequently, approached the TCH full of prejudice.

(disclaimer: this is not a sexist message by any means!)

Old 09-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Vegetarian

Originally Posted by klynch
wcmack,

Thanks for a well thought out and written reply. It reflects the way I feel about this too.
I think most of us can agree that the article in question was poorly written and based on someone's opinion more than fact.
I agree, the article was written in an immature fashion:
I figured the surprising fuel usage was simply because I frequently accelerate like I'm being chased by demons and that everyone else who drove the hybrid would get a billion miles to the gallon, just like the EPA said.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wcmack
Dear livvie,

Although you don't need me to, I like your "we can do better" attitude. What I'm wondering is, how can we help each other to get where you want to go?
Thanks. I think more people should think that way, we can do better and we should expect better. I am a bit put off by some hybrid owners and their smugness that goes with being a hybrid owner. "I drive a hybrid"... whooptee freaking doo.

Here I thought I was doing a personal good thing, trading in a gas-guzzler for a car with significantly higher MPG and significantly lower emissions. OK, so you're not impressed with the eco-performance of the new car I just got. I didn't buy the Camry Hybrid because I thought it was unimpressive... I thought it was gee-whiz hot stuff tech-wise. But I could be wrong. My college philosophy mentor used to tell me "strive to make your mistakes clearly [so that you can be corrected and learn from them]." I'm cool with that. Where did I go wrong?
Let's compare apple to apple, you went from a gas-guzzler (perhaps and SUV?) to a camry hybrid. My point is that had you gone with a regular camry, you still would notice an improvement over your gas-guzzler.

My disappoint in hybrids is that compared to THEIR non-hybrid counterparts, they are not that impressive. In that regard, it's a bit of a gimmic.

If there is something out there that will give me, say, 100+ MPG with only 10% of the current average air emissions of the best cars now on the road, name it and I'll take a serious look at it.

Oh, it needs to seat at least 3 people...me, my wife and mother-in-law (no jokes, please). And it needs to have weather protection, a comfortable ride and easy in and out...my wife's mother has Parkinson's. Also, it needs to be at least a little roomy...I am 6'1" and still growing (not vertically, to my shame) and, as a lawyer, I often chauffeur clients around. Solar probably won't work, since I live in the northeast where insolation rates are not optimal. I need something with good crash protection. I have to be able to run for several hundred miles in a trip, so it has to be capable of interstate speeds, and refueling/recharging has to be publicly and conveniently available. And I would want something that can be serviced conveniently and carries a pretty long warranty, since whatever technology is involved will be cutting- (read bleeding-) edge.

See, given all these goals (none of which have to do with super-high MPG or super-low emissions), I thought I did pretty well in choosing the TCH. But I can learn. Whip me into shape. MAKE ME DO BETTER!
Like I've said, the non-hybird counterparts will meet your needs too. Probably cost less and get semi-"good" FE.

As for you doing better, you can't but you bought into the hype of a hybrid... is all I'm pointing out.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
My disappoint in hybrids is that compared to THEIR non-hybrid counterparts, they are not that impressive. In that regard, it's a bit of a gimmic.
In the Camry line, isn't the hybrid about 15% more efficent than the non-hybrd (using the EPA highway estimate of 33mpg and 38mpg respectively)? While not an astounding difference, that still seems significant to me. I wonder what the impact would be if you could instantly increase the efficiency of every car now on the road by 15%?

Old 09-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

If Toyota (or other manufacturers) just included the gph/mpg meter in their automobiles as they do in the Hybrids the difference would narrow even more.
I think people (subconsciously) change their driving habits when they get/drive a hybrid because of the addtional feedback provided and would do the same thing in a conventional vehicle if given the (bio-feedback) tools to improve their driving effeciency.
J

Old 09-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am a bit put off by some hybrid owners and their smugness that goes with being a hybrid owner. "I drive a hybrid"... whooptee freaking doo.
I can see your point on this. Internet communities that focus on one topic or product, like this one, will attract people with a variety of enthusiasm for the subject, some of whom can seem a little over the top in their commitment to, or fascination with, it. I consider myself kind of middle-road on enthusiasm. But I must confess, when I'm driving, I sometimes wonder whether people notice that I am driving a hybrid. So I guess I am guilty of wanting to feel special, if not smug.

Let's compare apple to apple, you went from a gas-guzzler (perhaps and SUV?) to a camry hybrid. My point is that had you gone with a regular camry, you still would notice an improvement over your gas-guzzler.
Also true. My old X-5 had a 4.4 litre V-8 and 16-18 MPG. So I certainly could have purchased many nice gas-engine cars that would have met my requirements for personal transportation and got better gas mileage. In fact, I looked at the Acura TL, the Audi A-4, the Hyundai Azera and the Camry SE, as well as the Camry Hybrid.

My disappoint in hybrids is that compared to THEIR non-hybrid counterparts, they are not that impressive. In that regard, it's a bit of a gimmic...As for you doing better, you can't but you bought into the hype of a hybrid... is all I'm pointing out.
I think we may just have to agree to disagree on this point. It seems you feel that hybrid technology is not a real step forward, but rather a sales ploy to get people to buy more cars at perhaps higher prices. I and everyone else (including you apparently) got taken in when we chose a hybrid.

I just don't agree. As I said earlier, IMHO hybrid technology is a good and serious evolution beyond the ICE technology that has sustained the auto industry for over 100 years. And I feel good about being a relatively early adopter of that technology. Should I be smug about it? Of course not. Should I feel duped? No, I can't see it.

I hope and expect that the auto industry will continue to develop and incorporate new propulsion technologies in my lifetime that will make my current FE look incredibly feeble. If I can, I will drive vehicles that include those technologies as well. Call me gullible or smug if you want. But that's what I'm gonna do...

Old 09-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wcmack
I can see your point on this. Internet communities that focus on one topic or product, like this one, will attract people with a variety of enthusiasm for the subject, some of whom can seem a little over the top in their commitment to, or fascination with, it. I consider myself kind of middle-road on enthusiasm. But I must confess, when I'm driving, I sometimes wonder whether people notice that I am driving a hybrid. So I guess I am guilty of wanting to feel special, if not smug.

Also true. My old X-5 had a 4.4 litre V-8 and 16-18 MPG. So I certainly could have purchased many nice gas-engine cars that would have met my requirements for personal transportation and got better gas mileage. In fact, I looked at the Acura TL, the Audi A-4, the Hyundai Azera and the Camry SE, as well as the Camry Hybrid.

I think we may just have to agree to disagree on this point. It seems you feel that hybrid technology is not a real step forward, but rather a sales ploy to get people to buy more cars at perhaps higher prices. I and everyone else (including you apparently) got taken in when we chose a hybrid.

I just don't agree. As I said earlier, IMHO hybrid technology is a good and serious evolution beyond the ICE technology that has sustained the auto industry for over 100 years. And I feel good about being a relatively early adopter of that technology. Should I be smug about it? Of course not. Should I feel duped? No, I can't see it.

I hope and expect that the auto industry will continue to develop and incorporate new propulsion technologies in my lifetime that will make my current FE look incredibly feeble. If I can, I will drive vehicles that include those technologies as well. Call me gullible or smug if you want. But that's what I'm gonna do...

WELL SAID!! I couldn't agree more, just look where technology has gotten us in the last 100 years in the field of communications.... can you say MARCONI??

Old 09-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dalerb
In the Camry line, isn't the hybrid about 15% more efficent than the non-hybrd (using the EPA highway estimate of 33mpg and 38mpg respectively)? While not an astounding difference, that still seems significant to me. I wonder what the impact would be if you could instantly increase the efficiency of every car now on the road by 15%?
Other non-hybrid cars have seen jumps of 15% from prior model years in fuel effeciency. So again, it's not that much... should be higher.

Quick Reply: An Idiot @ WomanMotorist.com

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands