How much oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default How much oil?

Ok, I've been reading and posting a lot about oil, filters, and changes, but I've got a new question:

My first three changes, I just went with my Toyota Service Center's oil and filter. I noticed the last time, the oil level is higher than the two notches on the dipstick (is that a problem?!) This time, I got my own 5w-20 Pennzoil Platinum (since I couldn't find any 0w-20 that was reasonable) and a Purolator Pure One filter. I gave them 5 quarts and requested the half quart back. I got it back, so this verified they put 4.5 quarts in, like the manual states it should take.

Long story short, I checked the oil level right after the change and then today (I've put on about 300 miles so far) and it is the same as before, higher than the two notches, not within them.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it a problem? If so, how much oil should I have them put in?

Thanks guys, you're very helpful all the time!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How much oil?

Sometimes there's 2 refill quantities spec'd.: with/without oil filter change. It could also be they're replacing the drain plug in too quickly.

The 2 marks on the dipstick likely represent a difference of about 1 quart, and they are the min and max levels your oil should be at. If you oil level is significantly above the upper mark (say 1/2 quart), this is likely impacting your mileage a bit, since the crankshaft is dipping into the reservoir more than it should. It can also cause frothing, be detrimental to oil seals, and generally get oil into places it shouldn't be.

I think the ideal would be maybe 1 cup under the full mark, as long as you're not losing any oil between changes. If you ask the dealership I think they'll respond by offering to fix the level.

I was in a similar situation, and that was our dealership's response. I decided to fix it myself though, and will likely just carry on doing my own changes.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 12-18-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling, continuity
Old 12-20-2008, 01:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I did have a '03 Corolla with the 1.8 engine. It took 4 1/4 to 4 1/3 quarts, same as the TCH. Sorry, right now I can't remember which.

It's best to find a level spot to park. I let my car sit a hour or two before rechecking the oil level. I usually drive it one day and check the level the next. I do my own oil change unless it's freezing outside. I do check for any leaks after I have driven to town.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Joe,

The car specs for 4.5 quarts if you change the filter. This will usually overfill by a quarter of a quart or so. If you use 4.25 quarts it will hit the full mark on the nose. I still use 4.5 however (easy to measure and I use 5 quart jugs with the left over half going into an empty jug for a later oil change). My mileage is not suffering from it and I assume that it will take more than 4.5 quarts before the crankshaft counterweights start dipping into the oil.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I now provide only 4 quarts to my dealer for my oil changes. I don't think they let the oil drain long enough. Using 4 quarts, my oil always comes to between the two marks on the dipstick, and usually towards the upper one. I would rather top it off myself as needed than have it notably over the upper mark.