Too much oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Too much oil?

I've search the forums a little bit, but haven't found a concrete answer to this question. At what point is too much oil going to effect my FE? I had Walmart change it out and put in the mobil-1 0-w20 I gave them. I tried to impress on them only to use 3.4 quarts, and that I'd like the remainder of it after they were done. They did actually give me the remainder back, without my asking even! What I got back though, was probably about 0.2 quarts, or in other words, they used about 3.8 quarts? I checked my dipstick, and the oil line is a little above the max line.

I have driven a bit since then, not really worrying about it, and have gotten about the same mileage as before, I think. I was hoping for a good increase, as this was my first oil change.

From past topics, some people have said this much extra does not make a big difference, whereas others have said not not even approach the max line. Most of these threads were a couple years old, so I was wondering if people have any newer opinions.

It would be annoying to try to siphon some oil out, but if it meant a mpg or maybe a couple mpg, it may be worth it. I think the lesson here is that maybe I will have to do my own oil from now on.

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Too much oil?

In the future Jonathan try 3 qts.. It comes to almost full, nothing to worry about. I would remove the extra oil, as the pressure in the block will be up? Cheers, H

Old 05-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think I will...The only question now is to whether it's worth trying to siphon a little bit out now or not..

Old 05-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Take it back to Wal-mart and have them remove it!.H