HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Too Much Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Too Much Oil?

So I took my HCH II in today for the transmission fluid change, oil change and tires rotated. I bring my own oil in for the change. After I left I realized that I didn't get my half a quart left over back. So I quickly drove back and let them know. The service rep apologized and went to get it, only to return and said the mechanic put all 4qts in. I said this is the 3rd oil change and this place has always put 3.5 qts in. The mechanic told him that even after 3.5 qts it was still low, so he put the rest in. The rep checked the oil and it was a tad over the full line.

Having driven the car all day, it just doesn't feel right and the rpm seems to want to jump to 2k more than usual. Not sure if it' all in my head or what. I asked my dad's opinion, he thought Honda could be lying and put the half quart in someone else's car or topped off one of their quarts. He suggested to check it in the morning to see where the oil is truly at on the dip stick.

Just burns me especially with the price of oil now-a-days. I went ahead and ordered 2 more cases of 0w-20 from Napa. I imagine the price of oil will be going up as well.

If the oil is over the Full line even in the morning, I'm bringing it back and having them drain a half quart out on their own dime.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Too Much Oil?

Its probably the CVT is operating better than it was? I don't believe the engine will act up from a very mild overfill?H

Old 05-31-2008, 07:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

I hope you're right, Harold.
I drove her on the interstate today, trying to keep between 50 and 60 mph with the A/C on at 75 and keeping the iFCD between 50 and 100 mpg. I felt like I was struggling with it the whole time. I don't normally drive on the interstate, so I'm anxious to drive her around tomorrow to really feel how she rides. I still averaged around 61 mpgs on the 60 mile drive, so I guess that's not bad. I'm sure I'm worrying over nothing.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:16 PM

Jess; You should check the air pressure. Dealers have a habit of airing them too the recommended 32 lbs.. If your like most of us, you are more than likely at 40+ , H

Old 06-01-2008, 04:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I thought that too. I keep them at 44 psi. I asked them to leave them alone and they did. Harold, I appreciate your inputs. I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just checked the oil this morning. I can see it glisten about 6mm over the full mark. Is that too much or nothing to worry about?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:52 AM

You could remove the filter and dump the oil from it, or better yet take it back to the clowns that over filled it and tell them to correct the problem. I think I would look for someone else service my car in the future as well. This is not a indicator of good service! H

Old 06-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

I agree with you there Harold. I may just take it to them tomorrow night. I did leave a message on the service rep's voicemail yesterday about it.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Hybrid Owner

I'd sneak the turkey baster from the kitchen...but don't tell the wife

Old 06-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just got back from a 30 mile round trip, finished at 62 mpgs, but it was more of a struggle than usual. I've made up my mind to take back tomorrow night and drain that filter.

Quick Reply: Too Much Oil?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands