HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Too Much Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Too Much Oil?

I always hand the dealer the 3.4 quarts.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
You could remove the filter and dump the oil from it, or better yet take it back to the clowns that over filled it and tell them to correct the problem. I think I would look for someone else service my car in the future as well. This is not a indicator of good service! H
I think I would leave the filter on unless you enjoy huge messes.

If you had an oil extractor, you could just remove the extra 0.5 qt through the dipstick tube, in about 15 seconds. I have used an oil extractor to change my oil for the last 5 years (yes it removes all of it, before anyone jumps in).

Your only option is to crack the drain plug for a few seconds to remove the excess if you don't want to deal with the dealer. No one touches my drain plug, they ALWAYS over fill it, and blast it back on with an impact wrench.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

So this morning on my commute I pulled 69 mpg to work and from work to the Honda Dealer , still 69 mpg. I thought, great, now it seems to be okay.
The dealer was sincerely nice ( which they always are, that's why I drive out of my way to see them). He pulled it into the garage and up to the Service manager and another service rep. They immediately looked at the oil level and called me into the garage. I was shocked at what I saw. The oil was right on the full line, nothing above. I had them re-dip the dip stick and, again, right on the money. I told them I was shocked, that I had checked the day before and it was clearly over the full mark. They actually offered to drain some of it, but I said not to worry about it.

It reminded me when my kids are sick and I bring them into the doctor's office and they don't seem sick at all.
I thanked them for their time and drove next door to NAPA auto parts and picked up the 2 cases of Mobil 1 0w-20 that I had ordered, on sale at 5.69 a qt.