Halagon to HID headlites

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Halagon to HID headlites

O.K. Here is a sill question (probably repeated somewhere else) but what else would you expect from me ?

The headlights on the TCH are halogen, correct? So - without modifications - is there a brighter bulb out there than standard that is worthy of mention?

Now, Does anyone see the benefit of going into some other "system" for the lighting? I'm trying to get a subtle look to enhance the car but don't want to get it looking like "Cheech & Chongs" car from east L.A.

I like the brightness and the colors of the HID lights (from the blue to pink ranges) but dont know the better way to acheive this.

Any ideas? Thanks

Old 01-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Really, just get a 4300K quality kit, and you will close to factory HID, without a full retrofit. Subtle, yet very effective.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Advanced Technology-PZEV

Hey guys i have a problem .... My HID kit worked fine for 3 months, and now all of a sudden one lamp comes on and shuts off? any ideas?

Old 01-28-2007, 05:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

What kind of kit is it? Make sure the ballast is plugged in correctly.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

kris,

Any suggestions on locating the kit? Looks like some may be less than desirable and if you have any experience or knowledge it would be appreciated.

Thanks -

Old 01-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ooops

Also meant the "brand" or manufacturer of the kit.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Don't like Green Beer

Kris, you suggested a 4300K kit. What's the brand name and is it just bulbs or a conversion kit. thanks

Old 01-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

The brand of kit you are looking for is a Denso ballast, made by Hella, and Philips bulbs. This will be a rebased kit because it will use a H11 bulb which fits the Camry's projectors. 4300K is the color, which is factory color, bright white with a hint of blue, and it gives the most light output. These quality kits can be found on ebay, or xenonking.com (use coupon code "xkgb") or from xenondepot.com.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meerkat
O.K. Here is a sill question (probably repeated somewhere else) but what else would you expect from me ?

The headlights on the TCH are halogen, correct? So - without modifications - is there a brighter bulb out there than standard that is worthy of mention?

Now, Does anyone see the benefit of going into some other "system" for the lighting? I'm trying to get a subtle look to enhance the car but don't want to get it looking like "Cheech & Chongs" car from east L.A.

I like the brightness and the colors of the HID lights (from the blue to pink ranges) but dont know the better way to acheive this.

Any ideas? Thanks
TCH is halogen. The so called "brighter" bulbs that are out there are IMO not worth it. Because they are also halogen with glass treatmeants to make it look whiter, but it's a trick. This robs you of visible light and lumens. Unless they burn at a higher rate, in which case you are looking at replacing your bulbs every year. So something has to give.

A conversion kit done correctly will get you what you want but at a cost.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Dazed and Confused

A number of years back I bought higher wattage bulbs from JC Whitney. I think they were 55W low and 85W high bulbs. They were quite a bit brighter as normal bulbs are 35W low and 55W high. The big problems were: everybody flashed me since my low beams were as bright as high beams, the lens started to discolor from the extra heat, and the worst part, the wiring to the bulbs started to melt due to the extra current drawn through it. That is the only way to get more light from a halogen, give it more voltage or run bulbs that can burn more watts at a given voltage. Overdriving halogen bulbs can produce a lot more light, but you shorten the life of the bulb considerably.

Quick Reply: Halagon to HID headlites

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands