Electric Shocks...YOUCH!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Electric Shocks...YOUCH!

I would be willing to bet it is the cars with the cloth upholstery, I have never had this happen since i went to leather seats years ago but did have the problem with cloth years ago.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:46 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by Dan
Does the Camry have SmartKey?

My theory is that the static discharge is grounding through the smartkey sensor under the handle. I checked my other cars and they all have plastic door handles. My Prius (not Camry) may have a plastic handle, but there is a sensor on the inside of the handle you always touch when you reach for the door. This is how the SmarKey system knows to unlock the door.

Static is Very high voltage, and very low ampage. But that high voltage (even at low amps) does a remarkable job of scrambling electronics. I'm often concerned that the static will short out the SmarKey system, but that's probably why you get a shock. Maybe it's an attempt to ground you just before you hit the sensor. They may have put a grounding strip of lower resistance right next to the SmartKey system. If my physics is right, you'd ground through the lowest resistance (grounding strip) 10 times out of 10.
I looked at my door handle, and there is no sensor. I assume it works off of low level inductive electrical charges we all have. The inside of the door handle is the same material that the rest of the handle is.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Dan
MPG Centurion

Originally Posted by ag4ever
I looked at my door handle, and there is no sensor. I assume it works off of low level inductive electrical charges we all have. The inside of the door handle is the same material that the rest of the handle is.
Interesting.... on the Prius there is a small rubber pad on the inside of the door handle (front doors only). I assume the guts for SmartKey is under those pads. I'd be interested to hear how SmartKey is implemented in the Camry

Old 02-05-2007, 07:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skywagon
I would be willing to bet it is the cars with the cloth upholstery, I have never had this happen since i went to leather seats years ago but did have the problem with cloth years ago.
Happens to me on my Pilot, Maxima, & TCH...all three are leather.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

I agree, I've been getting some pretty stiff shocks since day one. I have a cloth interiored TCH.

Like many, I didn't really think about it until recently, but since I've been more aware of it, I notice it doesn't happen when I'm in my gfs cloth interior Pathfinder or my brother's cloth Ford Ranger. (Granted, those don't have the microfiber-type cloth, which I'm sure exacerbates the situation.)

It DOES have me a little concerned about safety, however. Now I'm not one to go chasing the Loch-Ness Monster, Bigfoot and worry needlessly about random things, but on Mythbusters about a week ago, they proved that static electricity can fairly easily spark a fire at the pump.

They were testing the myth that cellphones would cause a fire while pumping gas, and although the cellphones wouldn't ignite no matter what they tried, person-to-car static electricity certainly did.

It's difficult for me to determine whether or not the Hybrid system contributes at all to this since my last two vehicles were leather interior, but what I can say is the static shocks I experience are certainly some of the most powerful I've ever experienced, and about 5 times more powerful than any shock I remember feeling when dragging my feet across the carpet and touching a light switch.

I have to say, this is something I am a little concerned about.

Google Search Turned Up:

PEI.org
Static Electricity
The Petroleum Equipment Institute began investigating mysterious refueling fires in the mid-Nineties. We learned that static electricity– the same thing that shocks you after dragging your feet across the carpet– can ignite gasoline vapors at the pump. We have made our findings available.

Mercola.com
"The real culprit: Static electricity that builds up in the body, especially when a person leaves the gas pump and returns to their warm car waiting for the pump to finish fueling their car. After returning to the pump, that built-up static electricity on your body, created from rubbing against cloth seats and carpeting, may discharge when you touch it, creating a flash fire from gasoline refueling vapors."

Old 05-02-2007, 03:35 AM
tjq
Active Enthusiast

Step I learned and helped with static electricity with a previous car. Touching the car with sleeve of jacket or shirt would dissipate the charge. No long sleeves, would brush agains car with leg or "butt". (do not try this naked) Could feel it slightly, but no uncomfortable zapping.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:04 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Did you ever notice the gasoline refueling trucks ground themselves with a grounding wire when they transfer the fuel into the underground tanks? Did you ever notice that airplanes are also grounded during refueling operations? You think they know something?
I rerely get electric shocks but when I do it's when I'm wearing my rubber soled jogging shoes. Leather soles are better conductors especially after absorbing some perspiration and therefore do a better job of draining the static electricity.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In my last car I ALWAYS got shocks...I just made sure I touched the ground or did as tjq suggested....this is why I went leather this time!