View Poll Results: Do you use voice commands?
Most of the time with phone and NAV
4.84%
Most of the time with phone, rarely with the NAV
11.29%
Most of the time with NAV, rarely with the phone
3.23%
Some of the time with phone and NAV
6.45%
Some of the time with phone, never with the NAV
20.97%
Some of the time with NAV, never with the phone
6.45%
Never with NAV or phone
33.87%
Why bother? No one listens to me, not even the car!
12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use Voice Commands

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 02:57 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Do you use Voice Commands

I may get the time to preset all the phone functions and use the Nav voice commands. It seems like it takes forever to program them. I will use them soon....i hope!

Old 05-14-2008, 04:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It's great for a long drive.
I got my car and drove it 200 miles the next day.
Took me the entire trip to program the phone the way I liked...and I didn't have to take my hands off the wheel for more than a few seconds (speeddial on the radio buttons)
non-NAV version

Old 05-14-2008, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by MopTop
I've noticed you don't even have to say "dial by name" and then say the name. You can just press the talk button and say the voice entry and then press the off-hook button and it starts dialing right away.
I will have to try this on my way home with the NAV system.

To make sure I understand: if the voice tag is Mike, I would:

1. Press the voice button.
2. Say Mike.
3. Press the off-hook button.

?

I suspect she will tell me it is a not valid command.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:49 AM

If you say Mike too quickly, it will generate a Pardon?, wait for the beep to complete
If you wait too long, it might also fail.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
I will have to try this on my way home with the NAV system.

To make sure I understand: if the voice tag is Mike, I would:

1. Press the voice button.
2. Say Mike.
3. Press the off-hook button.

?

I suspect she will tell me it is a not valid command.
It did not work on the NAV system.

When I was in the consumption screen, I pressed the voice button, heard the beep, said Home Cell, it told me "Hotel is not valid in this screen." I tried others.

When I pressed the off-hook button instead, the screen changes to the telephone screen. If I hit the voice button, the best I can do is say a number.

I conclude, unless I did something wrong, the above quoted process does not work with the NAV.

In summary, the NAV unit it missing quite a bit of functionality. For example, there are commands to switch to a audio source (FM, FM1, FM2, AM, CD, CD changer) and to turn the audio system off. However, there are no commands (I know of) to select a preset station, to say a frequency to tune, or to select the AUX audio source. The last item in that list (AUX), is a major complaint as I use the AUX port all the time and almost never use the other sources.

I do not know why Toyota did such a pathetic job on this system. Not worth $1200+ unless you really want the Energy and Consumption screens. I might be purchasing an after market unit anyhow.

Or, what would be even better, is to have Toyota actually come up with a reason software release for the NAV (since all of these issues can be fixed) that includes more robust voice commands (to select EVERYTHING -- even those other screens like Energy/Consumption), removes the Agreement screen (pretty much done), and no longer locks you out of everything while in motion.

These types of changes would make the NAV disc worth something a little closer to the $250+ they charge. As it stands, my opinion is that the updated maps are worth no more than $30 -- roughly the cost of a really good atlas.

Of course, the world is not perfect and I am sure none of these items will be fixed.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
It did not work on the NAV system.
I cannot confirm that the same commands work for both the NAV and NON, as I do not have the NAV system. Perhaps because their are more commands possible for the NAV system some of the commands do not work in all screens. I know that if I am listening to the radio and press the voice button and say "Call Home" extremely clearly, it dials that number.

But thanks for the tip on changing the radio tuner with voice commands. Although I guess it is just as easy to press the mode button on the steering wheel.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

For name recognition, I've found that spelling the names works so much better than saying the name. Unfortunately this only works with voice recognitions that let you prerecord the name. "Call K-A-R-E-N" and I don't have to slow down and enunciate every syllable

Old 06-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Enthusiast

But you do have to slow down and say every letter! j/k
The voice recognition kinda worked for me with about 60% accuracy, then I hit a deer, and now it barely works at all except for "POI off", and that's not even consistent anymore. I think it must be out of place as I learned in this thread..thanks!

Old 06-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Enthusiast

Toyota's voice recognition is a complete joke. As is the navigation and items we really would like to use. These things work to perfection in my Audi and you would think a Japanese built car would perform better, but no such luck. Wife won't even pair her phone with the car anymore. The bluetooth SUCKS right along with the rest of it.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast

yeah, I only paired my treo 750wx a couple times, and quit because people complained they couldn't hear me. (pre-wreck, mic turned up)