Do you need to brake too hard to turn off cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Dazed and Confused
Default Re: Do you need to brake too hard to turn off cruise control?

Yes I agree there is some regeneration when the go pedal is released. What I am talking about is additional or the begining of the serious regen ramping up before brake light activation.

I might take it in to have the dealer look at that as well as an annoying low speed brake squeek. Sounds like the pads are rubbing on half the disk, so it squeeks, then stops then starts, then stops, but only at real low speeds.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
Yes I agree there is some regeneration when the go pedal is released. What I am talking about is additional or the begining of the serious regen ramping up before brake light activation.

I might take it in to have the dealer look at that as well as an annoying low speed brake squeek. Sounds like the pads are rubbing on half the disk, so it squeeks, then stops then starts, then stops, but only at real low speeds.
I can't tell that there is any additional regen from pressing the brake pedal prior to the brake lights showing. Seriously, the pedal only travels a half inch or so prior to the brake lights comming on. With the radio, fan, ICE all off, coasting about 30mph, I can't detect any increase in the "Wrrrrr" regen noise prior to seeing the brake lights reflecting in the rear window.

Surface rust can cause the low speed brake squeak/and or grabbing. Try this: the next time you come up on a red light, put the TCH in neutral around 30/35mph and stop normally. It may take a few stops, but this will prevent any regeneration and force the TCH to use the brakes while stopping. This should wipe off any rust and eliminate or greatly reduce the squeaking.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by nash
I can't tell that there is any additional regen from pressing the brake pedal prior to the brake lights showing. Seriously, the pedal only travels a half inch or so prior to the brake lights comming on. With the radio, fan, ICE all off, coasting about 30mph, I can't detect any increase in the "Wrrrrr" regen noise prior to seeing the brake lights reflecting in the rear window.

Surface rust can cause the low speed brake squeak/and or grabbing. Try this: the next time you come up on a red light, put the TCH in neutral around 30/35mph and stop normally. It may take a few stops, but this will prevent any regeneration and force the TCH to use the brakes while stopping. This should wipe off any rust and eliminate or greatly reduce the squeaking.
I've been studying this for a while now as I am in the process of accumulating the components to construct my own Diesel-Electric Hybrid.
I think that the key to controlling the amount of back-EMF (regeneration) through the MG would be a lateral Inertia (Accelerometer) based system.
That said - since the MG and ICE both supply their associated power through the same power splitter - I would think that there would be no regeneration with the transmission in neutral.
I have the factory shop manual from Toyota but have been working so many hours I've not had an opportunity to examine this part of the system.

Well - that's my $.02 worth anyway..

Old 11-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
I've been studying this for a while now as I am in the process of accumulating the components to construct my own Diesel-Electric Hybrid.
I think that the key to controlling the amount of back-EMF (regeneration) through the MG would be a lateral Inertia (Accelerometer) based system.
That said - since the MG and ICE both supply their associated power through the same power splitter - I would think that there would be no regeneration with the transmission in neutral.
I have the factory shop manual from Toyota but have been working so many hours I've not had an opportunity to examine this part of the system.

Well - that's my $.02 worth anyway..

What a great idea Randy! My TDI in my VW would be ideal for my TCH. 90HP turbo, intercooled goes like crazy lol.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by skywagon
What a great idea Randy! My TDI in my VW would be ideal for my TCH. 90HP turbo, intercooled goes like crazy lol.
That is what I really wanted. A diesel-electric hybrid.

The TDI gets like 45-50 MPG highway, and like 25-30 city. With a hybrid systems such as the synergy drive, I am sure it could do around 55 HWY, and 50 city real world, all the while having some serious get up and go.

I was going to purchase a TDI, but I did not like the seat as much as the TCH seats, and actually I was going to get a E320 CDI which has the best seats of the three, but I did not want to spend that much.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast

That is what I really wanted. A diesel-electric hybrid.

The TDI gets like 45-50 MPG highway, and like 25-30 city. With a hybrid systems such as the synergy drive, I am sure it could do around 55 HWY, and 50 city real world, all the while having some serious get up and go.

I was going to purchase a TDI, but I did not like the seat as much as the TCH seats, and actually I was going to get a E320 CDI which has the best seats of the three, but I did not want to spend that much.
Hang tough! a lot of new things comming in the next few years, 2009 Honda claims to have a new deisel with terrific milage. The new USLD fuel has cut the MPG down so they will need to address that problem (maybe change engine specs) and they should be good to go.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Dazed and Confused

You can always add in some fuel lubricate to replace the sulfer in the ULSD.

I have a F250 with the diesel, and will probably start running a fuel treatment to keep the high pressure fule pump in good shape. The sulfer was a great lubricant.

I have heard of some people running high sulfer off road diesel in their trucks, sure is quieter and runns stronger too.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Enthusiast

You can always add in some fuel lubricate to replace the sulfer in the ULSD.

I have a F250 with the diesel, and will probably start running a fuel treatment to keep the high pressure fule pump in good shape. The sulfer was a great lubricant.

I have heard of some people running high sulfer off road diesel in their trucks, sure is quieter and runns stronger too.
I use power service, grey bottle summer and white in winter.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:38 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Tested the cruise control just a little while ago.

Yes, I do have to press harder on the brake pedal to get it to cancel but not to the extent of having to slam the brakes. I think since I have to press harder to get it to cancel, I had a tendancy to overshoot my deceleration curve and then make up for it by braking harder. Plus, the engine offers no compression braking - only the dynamic braking of the vehicle and the regen of the MG..

One other thing - when hitting the cancel on the CC, it does remember the last set speed - I re-verified that..

Old 11-20-2006, 05:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
One other thing - when hitting the cancel on the CC, it does remember the last set speed - I re-verified that..
I think that's only true if you cancel by pulling the switch towards you. If you cancel by pressing the button on the stalk then I don't think it remembers the setting. I guess that's turning it off, not canceling.