Do you need to brake too hard to turn off cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 08:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Do you need to brake too hard to turn off cruise control?

On other cars that I've owned the cruise control has turned off with just a slight tap of the brake. I like this because I'll sometimes do this when I don't want to lose much speed, I just want to start coasting.

With the TCH I've done this and found the cruise control still engaged. You have to hit the brake pretty hard to disengage the cruise.

Does anyone else find this?

Old 11-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Do you need to brake too hard to turn off cruise control?

Why use the brakes at all to disengage the cruise control? Unless it's really necessary.

Why not get into the habit of using the switch on the steering column, that's what it's there for.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Dazed and Confused

Yes, you have to just about slam on the brakes to disengage the cruise. It sucks, and that is how I was used to disengaging it, just a slight tap, and it should be disengaged before the pads ever hit the rotor. The good thing about doing it that way is you light up the brake lights momentarily which alerts the drivers behind you that you are slowing.

I have now started to pull the cruise switch towards me to cancel it, but I don't prefer doing it that way.

Very bad design!

Old 11-10-2006, 09:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

The disconnect is linked to the brake lights, therefore however hard you have to do to trigger those is what will disconnect it. On delivery, I had my service guys adjust my brakes to make them a little more sensitive, that is doable if you find them too soft.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sooty
Why use the brakes at all to disengage the cruise control? Unless it's really necessary.

Why not get into the habit of using the switch on the steering column, that's what it's there for.
Sooty, Ag4ever answered your question. I like to give a little tap so that people know I'll be slowing down. I realize that if I were driving without cruise and then took my foot off the gas they wouldn't have the brake lights, but for some reason (not rational) it feels different when I turn off the cruise.

Anyhow, after a couple of times that I thought I'd be coasting when I wasn't I've now gotten into the habit of using the stalk. Regardless, even if there's another method, just tapping the brake should be sufficient. Why would someone want to hit the brake, regardless of how hard, and continue to use the cruise?

Old 11-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have noticed this.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Dazed and Confused

While using cruise, the people behind you will notice how steady of a speed you are going, and might be lulled into not paying as much attention especially if they are using cruise also. if you are not using cruise, you speed will fluctuate, and the distance between you and the car behind you will be varying much more than if both had cruise causing them to be more alert. This is the best argument for needing the brake tap to disengage vs not needing it if you are not using cruise.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Obviously I don't drive in the same conditions that you guys seem to. If I were driving in that much traffic that I would have to be that concerned about the guy behind me, and I have only occasionally, I wouldn't be using the cruise control period. I just would not feel comfortably doing so.

This is not a criticism of your use of cruise, just how I would and do feel.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sooty
Obviously I don't drive in the same conditions that you guys seem to. If I were driving in that much traffic that I would have to be that concerned about the guy behind me, and I have only occasionally, I wouldn't be using the cruise control period. I just would not feel comfortably doing so.

This is not a criticism of your use of cruise, just how I would and do feel.
I actually enjoy driving against traffic, so I have a very relaxing ride with little traffic. However, regardless of how little traffic there is, this doesn't stop the occassional yahoo from tailgating me.

Old 11-11-2006, 05:59 AM
Enthusiast

I find it easier to cancel the cruise by pulling back on the cruise control bar. My experience is that the TCH does require a harder tap on the breaks than other cars to cancel the cruise.

Quick Reply: Do you need to brake too hard to turn off cruise control?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands