Do you need to brake too hard to turn off cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Do you need to brake too hard to turn off cruise control?

I find it odd that so many of you have to 'slam on the brakes' to turn off the cruise control.

Mine disengauges with the slightest tap of the brake pedal.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sooty
Why use the brakes at all to disengage the cruise control? Unless it's really necessary.
Originally Posted by Sooty

Why not get into the habit of using the switch on the steering column, that's what it's there for.

Haven't got my TCH yet to try this but don't you lose the "resume" option if you use the switch on the steering column? This would be for me the most important reason to cancel cruise control by applying the brakes.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Paulgw
Haven't got my TCH yet to try this but don't you lose the "resume" option if you use the switch on the steering column? This would be for me the most important reason to cancel cruise control by applying the brakes.
The switch on the steering column has on/off (pressing the button on the end of the stalk) and cancel (pull the lever towards you). The cancel feature preserves the "resume" option.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
The switch on the steering column has on/off (pressing the button on the end of the stalk) and cancel (pull the lever towards you). The cancel feature preserves the "resume" option.
Glad to hear that, thx

Old 11-12-2006, 05:17 AM
Olde Farte

Originally Posted by nash
I find it odd that so many of you have to 'slam on the brakes' to turn off the cruise control.

Mine disengauges with the slightest tap of the brake pedal.
Mine too - eevn verified it yesterday after reading all the comments in this thread.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:29 PM
SPL

Ths signal to cancel the cruise control comes from the brake light switch. So (assuming that there is no fault present) the cruise control will be cancelled the instant the brake light comes on. Moreover, the Repair Manual (page BR-19) gives the correct amount of clearance between the switch plunger and the brake pedal as 1.5-2.5 mm (0.059-0.098 in). Check that your brake light is indeed coming on at about this amount of brake pedal depression. Your cruise control should thus deactivate with just a very small tap on the brake pedal.

Stan

Old 11-13-2006, 06:10 AM

Interesting replies from Nash and TCH2007. Now I'm wondering if some of us are having problems with our cruise control and/or brakes. To expand a little more I can tap the brakes hard enough to feel the car begin to slow down, release the brake and still have the cruise disengaged. You can see how:

1) I would expect the cruise to be disengaged at this point and

2) It would be alarming to have it kick back in at this point.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Dazed and Confused

This kinda goes to prove a post I made a while back where I commented on how I can apply the brakes to get regen, but the brake lights don't come on. It is a fine line that this happens, but I can slow the car w/o brake lights.

I can also slow the car with cruise on, then release the brake, and the car speeds up. That is wierd when you think it should be off, then you surge towards the car in front of you. I am never close enough to a car for there to be a problem, but it just makes you become very alert when it does happen.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast

My brake lights come on by a very light touch, have tried it in the garage at nite. also cruice comes rite off with light touch, may want to check the switch adjustment.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:07 PM
SPL

Regeneration normally always begins when one takes one's foot off the accelerator. It causes the car to slow down very gradually. This has been done in order to simulate engine braking in the hybrid. It does not require the brake pedal to be depressed at all. This is distinct from the greater regeneration that occurs when one does depress the brake pedal. There's no contradiction here. Nor do I see any indication that the cruise control is misbehaving.

Stan

Quick Reply: Do you need to brake too hard to turn off cruise control?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands