Changing door lock/unlock sequence

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 01:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Changing door lock/unlock sequence

Originally Posted by LiveAnon
The safety issue is the potential of a criminal to jump in one of the other doors when you unlock the car - like in a parking lot at night.
While I tend to think that's a relatively rare occurrence, I'm guessing we're all able bodied, young-ish men. I wonder if women (who live or spend time in parking garages, urban environments, etc.) would consider this a trivial feature. It's there for a reason. It takes me 1/4 second to open the door from the inside if I'm with passengers. If I notice they're approaching the car before I am able to open the door, I press the button on the key fob (1/2 second) not including the time to find the fob in my pocket (~2 seconds)...all far less time and energy that it takes to figure out how to reprogram the key, etc.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
While I tend to think that's a relatively rare occurrence, I'm guessing we're all able bodied, young-ish men. I wonder if women (who live or spend time in parking garages, urban environments, etc.) would consider this a trivial feature. It's there for a reason. It takes me 1/4 second to open the door from the inside if I'm with passengers. If I notice they're approaching the car before I am able to open the door, I press the button on the key fob (1/2 second) not including the time to find the fob in my pocket (~2 seconds)...all far less time and energy that it takes to figure out how to reprogram the key, etc.
Everyone's situation is different. I guess the bottom line is it should be an easy feature to change for a very technologically advanced and far from cheap car such as this (and as it turns out it is a piece of cake, I changed my Mom's Corolla yesterday in ten seconds now that I know how). I've seen a different version of the owners manual online and it clearly shows you how to change the setting, however my manual tells me to visit the dealer and they were useless.

I'm glad they did make it an option to be changed, though, and I'm thrilled with how much better it works for the way I use my TCH. My key never leaves my pocket except to open the door to my house, which I wish worked the same as my car!

Old 10-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LiveAnon
The safety issue is the potential of a criminal to jump in one of the other doors when you unlock the car - like in a parking lot at night.
Which is why everyone in my family carrys a concealed firearm and is trained to use same.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Which is why everyone in my family carrys a concealed firearm and is trained to use same.
You, obviously, live in a different part of the country from me. Up here, everyone's got a far more lethal weapon (a lawyer in the family)

Old 10-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
You, obviously, live in a different part of the country from me. Up here, everyone's got a far more lethal weapon (a lawyer in the family)
LOL, I live in Canada. Here we don't shoot or sue each other [very often]

I can change the setting back next time I visit the states, right?

Last edited by dcsun; 10-19-2010 at 11:58 AM.