Changing door lock/unlock sequence

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Changing door lock/unlock sequence

First posting. Just got 2008 Camry Hybrid, desert sand mica with moon roof but no leather or nav. Also have 2006 Prius.
When purchasing the Prius I was able to go to the priusonline site and find a way to change the code so that I could unlock all doors when I unlocked the driver's door. In the Camry manual it states that all these changes have to be done by the technicians at the Toyota dealer. Since I still had the instructions I used with the Prius, I decided to try the same thing with the Camry. It worked. Here is a copy of what I used, copied from the priusonline site.

"The choices cycle when you press the remote Lock and Panic buttons on the fob at the same time and hold for about 5 seconds.

Default: driver's front door opens driver's front door. Front passenger or rear hatch unlocks all doors. (My Note: This was also the default setting when I got my Camry Hybrid)

2. either front doors or rear hatch unlocks all doors.

3. driver's front door or rear hatch only unlocks that door. front passenger door unlocks all doors."

I prefer #2, and this is what the above instructions enabled me to do with my Camry Hybrid. After holding the Lock and Panic buttons for 5 seconds or so, I heard 2 beeps. I let go shortly after and it works just as they say.
Hope this may help someone and avoid a trip to the dealer just for that.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Changing door lock/unlock sequence

Originally Posted by gerwally
First posting. Just got 2008 Camry Hybrid, desert sand mica with moon roof but no leather or nav. Also have 2006 Prius.
When purchasing the Prius I was able to go to the priusonline site and find a way to change the code so that I could unlock all doors when I unlocked the driver's door. In the Camry manual it states that all these changes have to be done by the technicians at the Toyota dealer. Since I still had the instructions I used with the Prius, I decided to try the same thing with the Camry. It worked. Here is a copy of what I used, copied from the priusonline site.

"The choices cycle when you press the remote Lock and Panic buttons on the fob at the same time and hold for about 5 seconds.

Default: driver's front door opens driver's front door. Front passenger or rear hatch unlocks all doors. (My Note: This was also the default setting when I got my Camry Hybrid)

2. either front doors or rear hatch unlocks all doors.

3. driver's front door or rear hatch only unlocks that door. front passenger door unlocks all doors."

I prefer #2, and this is what the above instructions enabled me to do with my Camry Hybrid. After holding the Lock and Panic buttons for 5 seconds or so, I heard 2 beeps. I let go shortly after and it works just as they say.
I don't know if this was in the manual or not (never read it :-P) but I think it was in the Toyota Camry iGuide.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:13 AM

It's in the manual, page 40
SELECTING DOORS TO BE UNLOCKED WITH ENTRY FUNCTION
The unlocking operation has 2 modes. To change the mode, within 1 m (3 ft.) of the vehicle press the lock switch and the alarm, trunk opener or unlock switch simultaneously for five seconds.
The “POWER” switch must be turned off. When the mode is changed, the buzzer will sound and an indicator is displayed on the multi−information display as follows:

Old 02-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast

Mikieboyblue and Haroldo:
1) I guess I didn't read the manual too well. Sorry about that.
2) Thanks for the info on the iguide. I had not even known about that. I'll be going through all of those videos.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:32 AM

Mikieboyblue and Haroldo:
1) I guess I didn't read the manual too well. Sorry about that.
2) Thanks for the info on the iguide. I had not even known about that. I'll be going through all of those videos.
No problem Gerald! The iGuide is pretty cool.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Changing door lock/unlock sequence

I'll do you one better. I took my 2007 TCH to the dealer to have this setting changed (the manual I got says that's the only way to change it, though I've come to discover it's completely wrong in several other places too -- no oil change reminder on the Canadian edition of this car would be the biggest one so far!!), they charged me $17.80 plus taxes, reprogrammed the way the FOB works (unlocks all doors on the first press rather than after two), and told me that was the only thing that could be changed. I clearly explained to the guy (the actual tech who had just replaced the leaking coolant pump under warranty at 65,000 kms), but he stated there was no way to change how the door handle contact switch operated and sent me on my way. I just finished emailing the service department instructions for their future reference!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post those steps. Worked like a charm on my 2007 Camry Hybrid, and the gauge cluster even showed a picture of all the doors open after the beep! That having to open the door and press the unlock switch to open the rear door was really getting to be a pain!

Dave

Old 10-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

My dealer said it couldn't be done because it was a safety issue. He nows knows it can cause I told him how to do it. What a goof.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carolinacamry
My dealer said it couldn't be done because it was a safety issue. He nows knows it can cause I told him how to do it. What a goof.
That doesn't even make sense, how could door unlocking from the outside with the key be a safety issue? lol. I wasn't at all impressed with my first visit to the Toyota dealer (bought my car from an independent, and it's had the oil changed there where they noticed the leaking coolant), and probably won't go back unless I absolutely have to. They even require you to schedule oil changes in advance, not sure why they're so busy though!

Old 10-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast

The safety issue is the potential of a criminal to jump in one of the other doors when you unlock the car - like in a parking lot at night.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LiveAnon
The safety issue is the potential of a criminal to jump in one of the other doors when you unlock the car - like in a parking lot at night.
LOL, you probably have a better chance of being struck by lightning in the five seconds you're trying to open the other door!

Quick Reply: Changing door lock/unlock sequence

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands