Camry Hybrid Windshield replacement -- FINAL/real info

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Camry Hybrid Windshield replacement -- FINAL/real info

Does the Escape use a sound insulating glass? I log about 25K miles a year and have had maybe 4 cracked windshields in the past 8-10 years. The other three cracks were of such impact that I was very startled because it sounded like a gun going off in the car. The one on the TCH was barely audible. Obviously the shape of the rock and where it hits on the windshield play roles, but the main factor has to be kinetic energy and I'd wager money the TCH rock had 10% or less KE than any other of the other three rocks.

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Maybe Camry Hybrid drivers are driving more than their non-hybrid counterparts? I mean, I got a windshield crack at 4 days post-purchase in my 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid, but I blame the rock that hit the windshield, not the windshield.

Physics works!

Old 08-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

I had a Prius for 2 1/2 years and never had any problem with windshield rock dings.
I never hear of any sound deadening glass before the TCH.
I wonder why the TCH needs it and the Prius seemingly doesn't.
Unless the Prius does have it an and nobody has had issues.
J

Old 08-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Too Smug

Originally Posted by ntguru
Does the Escape use a sound insulating glass? I log about 25K miles a year and have had maybe 4 cracked windshields in the past 8-10 years. The other three cracks were of such impact that I was very startled because it sounded like a gun going off in the car. The one on the TCH was barely audible. Obviously the shape of the rock and where it hits on the windshield play roles, but the main factor has to be kinetic energy and I'd wager money the TCH rock had 10% or less KE than any other of the other three rocks.
I had same experience and reported it in a post on Greenhybrid in June. I barely heard the rock that cracked my windshield, but I did see it coming at me, leading me to believe that it wasnt traveling that fast. I've had much worse impacts with no damage whatsoever to the windshield on my old Infiniti.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oldgz
Did anybody here notice that Camry Hybrid is more likely get windshield crack than other Camry?

My windshield got crack. Then I call VA Windshield City. The guy answered the phone suprised me. Without quotaing the dealer, he told me the price immediatly. Since he already fixed 2 Camry Hybrid cars last week. If add my one, that's 3. This is a big ratio compare to the number of Hybrid Camry on road now. But he didn't has any experience with regular 07 Camry yet.

To me, that's mean Camry Hybrid windshield has high ratio to get crack. Maybe acoutic-dampered glass has some quality problem. I'm thinking we should let Toyota know and recall the windshield.

Any idea, suggestions? I like to know.

Thanks!
TOO FUNNY!!!!

That's exactly where I had mine replaced and Mike at Windshield City told me the story. He had my work order on his desk when you called. He said that he got your call, and quoted the price right away and surprised the heck out of you. He got a kick out of it (so did I).

Incidentally, he did a fantastic job on mine and is a good guy. Highly recommended if you are in the Metro DC area. He got me (and you I'm sure) factory glass from Toyota in just a few days, and also a new molding even though its shipped with the glass because the factory molding shipped with the glass was a little bent and he felt it wasn't up to stuff and preferred to do it himself to ensure highest quality. You truly can't tell mine has been replaced now.