Badge Graft

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Recent Hybrid convert
Question Re: Badge Graft

Originally Posted by BlueCam
I placed the old hybrid emblem on the rear of the vehicle above the right tail light on the trunk at the exact opposite location that the “Camry” emblem was placed above the left tail light on the trunk. [...]

I would love to hear your input both negative and positive and will not take anything personally. I value your opinions and hope this helps anyone having the “badge decision”.
BlueCam,

As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... see my avatar.

Unfortunately, I've had to re-apply my badge twice since then: the lower part of the "H" keeps getting loose given the trunk's body curvature right at that location! I assume flopshot & faldoc haven't had to deal with this issue (read: their "HSD" and "VVT-i" emblems) since the "curvature" only starts at a certain distance from the "sides".

Has your "Hybrid" badge stayed on without a hitch? No issues with the "H" slowly wanting to peel itself off a few hours/days later?

Last edited by HybridFan; 11-06-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:14 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Talking Re: Badge Graft

Originally Posted by agnosto
I agree... and not trying to be rude, but there is/are more important issues to deal than dealing with badges...

A piece of advise:
DO NOT modify your vehicle(s), unless it is required (via a TSB), because simply you are asking for trouble.
Okay - I can't help it now...

R-O-T-F-L-M-B-O ! ! ! ! ! !

Don't dare to be different - Don't dare to be an ((shhh)) Individual!

You have GOT to be kidding!!!

Old 11-07-2006, 07:00 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Badge Graft

Originally Posted by HybridFan
BlueCam,

As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... see my avatar.

Unfortunately, I've had to re-apply my badge twice since then: the lower part of the "H" keeps getting loose given the trunk's body curvature right at that location! I assume flopshot & faldoc haven't had to deal with this issue (read: their "HSD" and "VVT-i" emblems) since the "curvature" only starts at a certain distance from the "sides".

Has your "Hybrid" badge stayed on without a hitch? No issues with the "H" slowly wanting to peel itself off a few hours/days later?
I finally got around to moving my badge last week. Although it's only been on for a week, it doesn't look like it is coming off, yet.

It looks like our badges are installed at the same position. The extreme right edge is 1/2 inch from the edge of the trunk and the bottom of the "Y" is 1 inch above the left side of the the tail light area (before it bends down). I slanted the badge down to match the angle of the "CAMRY" badge.

The adhesive used was 1/4 inch wide gray 3-M badge tape. (Forgot the thichness.) I wanted to find a gel-type (like Fix-a-dent dental adhesive) for badges so the badge would fit tightly against car body. After just looking at the emblem, I see where that would have created the problem you're talking about.

On closer inspection, it looks like the badge MAY start pulling away in a few weeks. Only time will tell. If desired, I could post pix of installation and extreme close-up of the "H" area.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Badge Graft

Originally Posted by agnosto
I agree... and not trying to be rude, but there is/are more important issues to deal than dealing with badges...

A piece of advise:
DO NOT modify your vehicle(s), unless it is required (via a TSB), because simply you are asking for trouble.

ROTFFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-18-2006, 04:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks HybridFan

I am sorry that I have been out of touch for so long with this website. I am also very sorry that your badge relocation experience has been unpleasant. The tiny deflection that I also experienced at the lower left corner of the "H" in the hybrid badge was so small that I did not consider it worth mentioning.

I was happy to see both negative and positive responses to my post. In the end I think that it was decided that those who are privileged to own the Camry Hybrid have every right to evaluate the vehicle and make whatever small modifications that they see fit. After all, it is your car. Enjoy making little mods and add-ons to make it your special little high-tech mule.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:02 AM
Enthusiast

My badge is still where I stuck it, no problems yet. The vvti is short so there is less curvature to be concerned with and I really really cleaned the area well before applying it.

Last edited by faldoc; 11-18-2006 at 06:03 AM. Reason: sp correction