Badge Graft

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Default Re: Badge Graft

Originally Posted by skywagon
While you are on the DOHC 16 valve subject, just got my new service manual and was going thru it, and can you beleive this sh$%? Solid lifters that need adjusting, and to adjust you need to remove both camshafts and install different size lifters. How hokey is this in this day and age???? removing both camshafts gets you into the cam chains and tentioners, i bet it is a big $$$$$ job.
Hi Greg - This actually deserves it's own thread... DOHC systems are almost always mechanical followers. All the more reason to use a Zinc anti-wear additive (ZDDP).
To find ZDDP in oils other than those that are certified for Diesel Engines or Off-Highway use (racing) is getting pretty rare.
You can, however, use something that goes into all our racing engines these days. STP. It's the original Zinc additive. I don't know how they escape the EPA but they do. Some people are concerned that the STP will "thicken" their oil. This is not really the case when used as advised. The product is a viscosity index improver and high detergent stabilizer. How much stability it adds to today's oils is anyones guess.. I can tell you that since we went back to using it a few years ago - we stopped having camshaft (flat tappet) failures.

The other thing to consider is the low load factor of the followers. The valve springs on these engines are most likely very low tension to minimize internal friction.

STP goes into all my vehicles now and the real beauty of it is that it's pretty widely available and doesn't cost that much.. It will be going into my TCH.

-edit-

So I won't be a total thread hijacker;
Of all the emblems I really don't like the Toyota logo and I especially don't like how they used it with the front grill - making it look like an afterthought..

Last edited by Big-Foot; 10-02-2006 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Enthusiast
Wink Re: Badge Graft

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
if it were not for marketing departments, the car designers would have preferred it that way.

I was wondering what idiots come up with the ideas to splash "AWD", "FWD", "5.4L", "Turbo", and even more senseless information all over the cars. (Oh wait, you're a marketer

Seriously I have no problem with "Toyota" and enjoy the "hybrid" symbols. I don't like a lot of the useless emblems attached to cars (sorry, but similar to the VVT-I? or DOHC). Who cares? Why add something that doesn't add to the "purpose" of the car?

CHEVY had it right in the 60's with the flags and CI emblems. Simple yet they differentiate the between the different power level options. It's when they started adding 4-Speed, Automatic, and other descriptive but "unimportant" chrome that it started looking cluttered
Honestly I don't mind a lot of emblems saying something about the guts of my car: Hybrid is one part of the description. I like the VVT-i, and if there was an emblem saying "Atkinson Cycle Engine" I would stick that one on somewhere too. "Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle" would also be a badge of honor I would be proud to display. Sort of an automotive equivalent of a lapel pin.
This is a personal issue, and like all things cosmetic are in the eye of the beholder.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This thread is cracking me up. vvt-i, Camry Hybrid, just hybrid, just Camry, no badges, more badges, HyCamBrid.

Everyone's reengineering their badge placement, what it says, why it says it, who it says it to. God help us if someone starts a thread that reengineers the power split device.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:41 PM
WVGasGuy

God help us if someone starts a thread that reengineers the power split device.

You hit it! Finally an emblem that is unique to the TCH (and maybe Prius)

Maybe mold POWER SPLITTING DEVICE into the rear bumper cover similar to the COBRA on the Mustang.

I'm still surprised some of you don't have the string of neon green lights up under your car.

Then again it's all about personal taste

Old 10-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
I'm still surprised some of you don't have the string of neon green lights up under your car.

Then again it's all about personal taste
Dang and here I thought I was going to surprise you all with moving High Intensity BLUE LED's that would move in the opposite direction as the car..

Then there's the Neon Flux-Capacitor warning badge that I'm going to put in place of that hideous Toyota BoHica (emblem) in the grill...

Don't EVER confuse me with someone who has taste...

Old 10-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU PEOPLE!!!!!!

25 posts in this thread and NOBODY has said it yet. Well, I just can't help myself....

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!

Is it just that I'm old? Well, mature... This is such a classic...I guess nobody's into classics. Never mind...

For anyone interested, here is the link to wikipedia for a history of the phrase...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinking_badges

Old 10-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

must r-r-r-resist-t-t-t p-p-posting-g-g-g-g

Old 10-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wcmack
BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!
Maybe you don't need your stinking badgeees. But I need mine!!!!!

Old 10-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Badge Graft

Can anyone let me know where I can find the VVT-I badge and for how much?

Thanks.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Enthusiast

I got my vvt-i emblem off a guy in Thailand for about $10 shipped off of ea-bay, but it took 19 days. It had a Toyota factory label.

Quick Reply: Badge Graft

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands