Badge Removal ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Proud owner HCHII
Default Badge Removal ?

I am thinking of removing the words CIVIC and HYBRID from my trunk lid. How do I do it so that I can store them for eventual resale?

Old 05-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Badge Removal ?

I always remove my badges, as well. Here's how I do it. This method works best when the car is new, but will work on older cars, too, but takes more effort. Most badges (except for main logo badges that are often "pegged" in place via pre-drilled holes), are held in place by a foam double-stick tape.

To remove the badges, take fishing line or strong dental floss and make a short length of it. Fishing line is better, because most dental floss will break quickly, and you'll have to use several or many segments of it to get the job done. Loop the fishing line or dental floss around two opposing index fingers as if you were going to clean your teeth, with no more than about 6" between those fingers. Then, working carefully, start at one end of the underneath side of your badge, and use the fishing line or dental floss in a slow sawing motion to cut through the foam double-stick tape. You will quickly have your badge removed, and then you can clean off the remaining foam tape that is stuck to your paint finish. To do so, you can use a paint-safe solvent, or sometimes just rub off the double-stick tape residue with your fingers. The residue is easy to remove, especially on new cars. Be careful NOT to use your fingernail or car wax that may contain abrasives to remove this residue, since you could scratch your car's paint. Its paint will not be fully cured for several weeks, and is especially soft when newly applied.

You won't be able to reuse your badges, sorry to say. The double-stick tape will be destroyed. You can buy replacement badges cheaply at a Honda parts department, if that ever becomes necessary. I've removed every possible badge on every car I've owned, yet when I've sold those same cars, I never was asked or expected by any purchaser to replace the badges. Most buyers have appreciated the distinctive look, as the car appears so much cleaner and better without most badges.

I plan to remove my Camry and Hybrid badges when my new car arrives... maybe people will think it's a Lexus! (Just kidding.)

Old 05-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

yep that is the same thing i do. i did it and i think it looks a lot cleaner. i do it to all my cars that i get.

Old 05-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Proud owner HCHII

Thank you Steven for that good advice. Very helpful.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You should be able to reuse the badges by purchasing new double-sided foam tape. Clean off the back side of the badge (just like you did on the vehicle, but you don't have to worry about the paint on this surface, so scratch away with your finger nails!), then cut new tape to size. Affix to the badge and you're done! When you want to reattach the badge to the vehicle (even years later), just pull off the tape covering the adhesive, and reapply the badge to the vehicle. I've done it... it works fine (and saves lots of money!)