Accessories for TCH

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 05:25 AM
Pragmatist
Default Re: Accessories for TCH

Originally Posted by haroldo
Is body side molding something that is easily attached (I'm all thumbs) or would it be best to leave it to a pro? Do the aftermarket one's ever lose their stickiness or are then on for ever?
I would not use the aftermarket moldings. Get genuine Toyota moldings. They aren't much more money, and the color matches a lot better.

Installation is easy. The kit comes with clear instructions. If you are at all "crafty", or "handy", the installation is very easy. It took me about an hour, being careful and measuring twice. But, if you want to have someone else do it, most places only charge one hour labor. Any body shop can do it very well. You can get the kit and read the instructions before making that decision.

You need 'prep solvent', a measuring tape and some blue painters tape. You use the prep solvent to remove any wax from the area where the molding will go. (That is important, so the double-stick tape will stick good. The moldings that you sometimes see coming are the ones where the installer did not use the 'prep solvent' to take the wax off, before installing.) Then you measure, and place the blue tape. The edge of the blue tape is the mark for where the molding goes.

The molding itself has double-stick tape on the back. It's a good 3M tape that is made for auto-body molding, and should be good for the life of the car. Check the fit before peeling the liner off the tape. You might need to trim or bevel one end of some pieces, using a razor-blade knife. (There was one batch of BSMs that had one piece on each side just a little too long. They put it "on sale" to get rid of it, and a lot of those units went to ebay. I think that batch is probably gone by now.) Then you line them up with the edge of the blue tape and stick them on.

After sticking the moldings on, you do have to re-wax the car. That probably takes more time than the atual installation.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks...great answer!
I guess they do a good job of preventing door dings, right?

Old 10-25-2008, 05:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Is this a good one to buy? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3654&viewitem=

Old 10-25-2008, 06:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

I agree that you should get the OEM mouldings. I've bought from Deland Toyota before on e-bay and have been pleased. Make sure that you get a set for the Camry, not the Avalon in your link. Also follow the instructions. They have some specific measurements and a template to follow. They go on a bit of an angle, not just in a straight line as you would think. Follow the instructions and you won't have any problems. Also, mud flaps are available painted or black. You may want to get the matched color ones.

Enjoy!

Old 12-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast

If you are going to eventually want any of the following options, I would have them factory installed since their purchase price with new vehicle (listed below) is very inexpensive relative to purchasing and installing these later:

Exterior Accessories:
Rear Bumper Applique $69 MSRP
Rear Spoiler $303 MSRP
Body side molding $195 MSRP

Interior Accessories:
Door sill enhancements $159 MSRP
Remote Engine Start $529 MSRP

I would not purchase any other factory installed options, as these are all significantly cheaper if purchased online (toyotapartsdirect.com, etc). If you are going to want an integrated Nav unit, I would pony up for the factory installed option, as the difference in price between the UP (6-disc) and UT (Nav) package is only $1200, versus the $1600 for an OEM part aftermarket without installation. Of course, the UT package requires Leather and Sunroof, which you may not want.

I would not recommend purchasing the OEM iPod connector at all as this precludes using the Satellite Radio, and rather opt for the aftermarket VAIS SL2I-UP ($220 plus shipping), which is comparable in price, but allows use with Satellite radio (with only loss in functionality being loss of playlists). As far as other aftermarket products, I would recommend the Rostra Park Pilot backup sensors ($170 w/shipping) which are the same as the Canadian Toyota OEM version. I would also recommend the Rostra Rear Backup Camera ($215 w/shipping). Next up on the upgrade list is aftermarket HID headlights and foglights.

Last edited by ruc2827; 12-06-2008 at 10:12 AM.