07 camry hybrid with 135.000 miles will not go to read mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 09:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default 07 camry hybrid with 135.000 miles will not go to read mode

Hi, Everyone

Yesterday when I was driving home, I slowed the vehicle a little bit (do not remember whether I stepped on brake or not) and then tried to accelerate the car completely lost engine power. I slowed parked the car at a safe place. I tried to shut it down and then restart several times. Each time after I pressed the push start, dash light would turn on, and "Ready" would start flash ( I guess it's checking things to get ready) and then after 2 to 3 seconds, "Ready" would disappear and it will not go to ready mode. Then "check VSC system" and a lot of lights would all be red. Normally, after "Ready" flashes a few times and it will go to solid lit and the car is ready to drive. But it would not do that now. Also, because it's not "ready", my steering wheel is locked, I can not turn it at all. I could still shift the gears so the gears were not locked. However, after I shifted gears, nothing happens, the car will not move. BTW, the traction battery seemed to be fine, it showed that on the dash board. I had traction battery problems before and it's different from these symptoms.

Towed the car back, checked the error code with two different android apps (Dr. Prius and OBDII Mary) connecting to an OBDII connector, no error codes found. After a little bit searching online, seemed people say it might be because of the 12 voltage battery. I measured the voltage it was only 10.1 V, so I thought the 12 v battery was the reason. I planned to jump started it this morning. I connected the 12 v battery to a CRV ( with engine running) and charged the battery for about 20 to 30 minutes. With the cable still connected to both cars, I tried to press push start, still the same thing like yesterday. I measured the voltage and it's now reading 13.6 V. Some people said I need to reset the vehicle by shutdown and restart it 3 to 4 times to clear the code. I did. Not sure I did it correctly or not, I pressed push start with stepping on the brake, 3 seconds later, press push start to shut it down. Repeated it 3 more times. Nothing changed. I also tried to disconnect the 12 v battery ground cable for 15 minutes, that reset the clock in the car, but did not change anything else.

My understanding is that if it's because of the bad 12 voltage battery, when I jump started it with a second car, the car should act normal. Am I correct? Or jump start will not provide enough current and I have to change the 12 v battery before the car can go normal?

Also, if it's a low 12 v battery, would the car suddenly lose power when I was driving?

Anyone who might have suggestions what I should do?

Old 10-23-2020, 11:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 07 camry hybrid with 135.000 miles will not go to read mode

disconnect 12V battery for 5 minutes. Reconnect. Attempt jump start.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:54 AM
Enthusiast

I tried it this morning, seems nothing changed. But I will try again when I get home today.
What might be the next thing I need to try if this doesn't work?
Many thanks.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:42 AM

Put 12V battery on charger.

Check codes while connected to a jump vehicle/jump starter.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:09 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Put 12V battery on charger.

Check codes while connected to a jump vehicle/jump starter.
Thanks for the reply.
I am in the process of trying to get techstream setup.

Seems it might be an inverter coolant pump issue? Normally, if the fuse is blown, it means there is a very high possibility the pump quit.
https://www.autogenius.info/toyota-c...e-box-diagram/
here is the diagram for 07 camry hybrid fuse box, I need to check whether the fuse connecting to that pump is burned or not, however I can not tell easily which fuse is the one from the notes on the diagram.
On prius, seems it's a pretty common issue and people say fuse AM2 is the one, but seems camry hybrid has a different fuse diagram.
Do you happen to know which fuse is the one connecting to that pump?
Thanks!

Old 10-26-2020, 01:22 PM

I've never heard of an inverter coolant pump failing on a Camry or any other generation 3 hybrid. Not saying it can't happen, but I'd be surprised. They don't work the same way and will last much longer.

If this were a gen2 Prius, i'd say it's possible, BUT if the AM2 fuse is blown the car is DEAD - no signs of life besides a single flicker of the CEL and dome and headlights. I've never encountered a failed inverter coolant pump that would prohibit vehicle start IF the AM2 fuse was intact.

Brief history:

Prius:
04-mid 07 - lots of inverter coolant pump failures - typically in a short, popping AM2 fuse with a completely dead car on side of road.
mid 07 - safety recall of all cars replacing pump with new pump.
mid 07-09 - Most pump failures just stop pumping with inverter overheat and shutdown. Can restart once inverter has cooled. About 10% of pump failures result in short with blown AM2 fuse and DEAD car.

07+ Camry, 10+ Prius, all other Toyota/Lexus hybrids - variable speed pump based on need rather than 100% speed 100% of the time. Failures are very rare.