Adjusting the auto-on headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Enthusiast
Question Adjusting the auto-on headlights?

I'd like to have my headlights turn on a bit sooner than they do now, based on the level of darkness (or lack of light - not sure what is measured). I imagine the down-and-dirty way is to place a small piece of black tape over part of the light sensor on the dash (pretty sure it's the on on the pass. side) and change the amount covered until I'm satisfied.

I'd like to know if anyone is aware of how the circuit is regulated and if there are any adjustments available. Honestly, I doubt it as I'd bet the circuit is fixed and is totally dependent on the sensor voltage changing. But, it never hurts to ask
Thanks!
Bob

Old 06-10-2009, 04:48 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Adjusting the auto-on headlights?

Black electrical tape works great!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Enthusiast
Post Re: Adjusting the auto-on headlights?

Originally Posted by cephraim
Black electrical tape works great!
Yes, that'll be the way I go. I did find out that the circuit is adjustable with a Consult III - the newest tool that Nissan uses for 2007+ vehicles. There are 4 modes available:

MODE 1
Normal
MODE 2 More sensitive setting than normal setting (Turns ON earlier than normal operation.)
MODE 3 More sensitive setting than MODE 2 (Turns ON earlier than MODE 2.)
MODE 4 Less sensitive setting than normal setting (Turns ON later than normal operation.)

Chances are I won't get access to one of these
Thanks!
Bob

Old 06-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Would Nissan make this adjustment for free while the car is under warranty?

Old 06-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cephraim
Would Nissan make this adjustment for free while the car is under warranty?
If you get a nice mechanic, they might do it for you for free

Old 06-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

The black tape would result in daytime running lights right? They would still turn off when the car is turned off.

I don't know why I didn't think about this before (2 years ago when we bought our NAH ) as I am a strong believer in daytime running lights and was frustrated that the NAH didn't have that option.

The only caveat to using this method, even using auto-on headlights, is to make sure you do turn the car off. When we first got our car my wife left it at the airport for a week and apparently didn't turn the car off in her hurry to catch the shuttle terminal. We returned to find the battery dead AND the gas gauge on empty. The attendant told us that at night the headlights came on and the gas engine would come on periodically to recharge the battery. Finally hit empty and the gas engine would not restart. It was rather difficult to jump-start, to say the least.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Adjusting the auto-on headlights?

Originally Posted by langjie
If you get a nice mechanic, they might do it for you for free
True, if the Nissan service manager is nice too! Never hurts to ask.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Adjusting the auto-on headlights?

Originally Posted by tomscot2
The black tape would result in daytime running lights right? They would still turn off when the car is turned off.

I don't know why I didn't think about this before (2 years ago when we bought our NAH ) as I am a strong believer in daytime running lights and was frustrated that the NAH didn't have that option.

The only caveat to using this method, even using auto-on headlights, is to make sure you do turn the car off. When we first got our car my wife left it at the airport for a week and apparently didn't turn the car off in her hurry to catch the shuttle terminal. We returned to find the battery dead AND the gas gauge on empty. The attendant told us that at night the headlights came on and the gas engine would come on periodically to recharge the battery. Finally hit empty and the gas engine would not restart. It was rather difficult to jump-start, to say the least.
I too am guilty of leaving the car on - for several hours anyway. So quiet. Ever sneak up behind someone in a parking lot?